Blizzard conditions tonight and tomorrow..........NOOoooooooo!

mrsbos

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 11, 2010
Greenacres, WA
My poor babies!!!! They experienced their first snow the other day and HATE it! And now we're getting hammered. I'm going to have to dig them out of the coop tomorrow with sub-zero windchills! This is horrible! Having chickens in the winter in cold climates sucks! THis is my first winter with them. At least I think they'll be warm. Much of their coop is already buried in snow which should help insulate it from the below zero temps at night. No supplemental heat....

Why Why Why?!

I feel your pain. We are getting it over here on the west side too. This morning the news anchors delighted in saying that Seattle was colder than Barrow Alaska. I didn't check to see if that was accurate, but it has been snowing all day. Tried to make a run to Safeway unsuccessfully.

Imp

It was near 80 degrees here today in alabama
somad.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh don't rub it in!
tongue2.gif
Miss the nice winters we had in AZ now dealing with snow on the ground and more to come tomorrow. I'll take your Alabama weather now please!
big_smile.png

Ill grant that our temperate climate has its perks as far as mild winters are concerned, but its just no fun to turn the ac on because you break a sweat putting up the Christmas tree. Id like to see a white Christmas just once!

You can KEEP it ......
tongue.png
Its a balmy 18 deg F here now ......I had to open up one of the coop windows because it was actually to warm in there today ....I am sure we will get our share come January

Quote:
Oh my, glad to know I'm not the only one feeling this way! We have four hens, approx 7 months old...our first winter with them. The coop is not insulated (although it is vented & does not appear to have drafts) & we're not providing supplemental heat...a lot of what we read said not to provide supplemental heat. But I feel SOOOOOOOO terrible for our ladies! It's obvious they're hating life right now. We're in Wyoming & were hit with a pretty bad winter snap (sounds like a lot of places did) - for the next few days it's single digits & below zero.
sad.png
The forecast shows it heating up by the end of the week to the 30's & 40's, so hopefully they stay tough until then.

We are under a blizzard warning for tomorrow through Wed. Brrrr. Just got 14 inches of snow yesterday. Off to a wild start for this winter.

Thanks for lettting me know about the cold and snow.
Here in PA its in the 50's and not too cold at night yet...we installed a heater over the weekend and was wondering if we will need it....it has been unusually warm..also have a light on the chickies..we are still getting 3-4 eggs per day out of 6 chicks. please keep us posted:woot
I do hope your chicks will be all right, also

We are getting blasted that's for sure. We live only about 25 mins from Greenacres blizzard conditions until 10 am tomorrow. Our chickens are not happy either, it is 14F right now and it is said it will go sub zero in the next few hours. No supplemental heat here either good luck.

Back
Top Bottom