Just an update, I gave her some extra calcium (pill form) & we're now on the second salt soak for today.
I still do not think she's egg bound. I can't feel an egg.. but it doesn't mean that there isn't one! I'm keeping her separate from my other chickens in a cool, dark-er place that's nice & quiet.
HOPEFULLY we can get through this pretty quickly. I can tell she doesn't feel good. ☹️

Attachments

• 20220908_143345.jpg
    20220908_143345.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 5
Just an update, I gave her some extra calcium (pill form) & we're now on the second salt soak for today.
I still do not think she's egg bound. I can't feel an egg.. but it doesn't mean that there isn't one! I'm keeping her separate from my other chickens in a cool, dark-er place that's nice & quiet.
HOPEFULLY we can get through this pretty quickly. I can tell she doesn't feel good. ☹️

I have no advice as I'm new to chickens. I did notice in today's picture that her eye is cloudy. Or maybe it's closed? Does it usually look like this?

Can you photograph the bloated area
Unfortunately I can't get a good picture. The whole area is covered in feathers. 😕
It's a good sized area though. I circled it in red. You can see from the picture I took via my henspital camera, she looks very round & unhappy. 🥺

Attachments

• 20220908_143345.jpg
    20220908_143345.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220908_181055.jpg
    Screenshot_20220908_181055.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 5
Reproductive disorders like Cancer, Salpingitis, EYP, etc., can be common in laying hens. Symptoms can sometimes come and go. Fluid in the abdomen (called Ascites) is a common symptom sometimes is seen with reproductive disorders and/or organ failure/dysfunction.

If she is suffering from reproductive problems, then supportive care can be given. This may include vitamin support, seeing that she's eating/drinking well, antibiotics, deworming, ensuring that her crop is emptying and draining fluid if/when necessary. None of these are a cure, but they may extend life for a period of time.

If I have a hen that is not well, but she's able to still move about, eat/drink on her own and is not getting picked on by her flock, then I leave them with their flock and treat symptoms until it's time for me to end their misery.

If I have a hen that is not well, but she's able to still move about, eat/drink on her own and is not getting picked on by her flock, then I leave them with their flock and treat symptoms until it's time for me to end their misery.
What do you typically look for when you realize it's time? 🥺 I would truly hate nothing more than to know she was suffering!

Currently, she's still drinking & eating (like a picky toddler). She mustered up enough energy to escape the henspital I had set up for her. I guess it was getting close to bedtime & she knew it.. she wanted to sleep with her flock!

Back
Top Bottom