Bloated Chick!?!?!?!!?

GlitterKitty

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Okay so today we picked up our GL polish and she doesn't open her eyes! She's still breathing and I can feel her heartbeat but she only opened her eyes once. Then while I was holding her it felt like her stomach was squishy and when I felt the others it wasn't..! Is she bloated? Cold? Being picked on? Um I don't know! But please help! What should I do?!? She was always a little sleepier than the other chicks but I've never seen it this bad! could she be just tired?!

Thanks

How old is the chick, and where is the 'bloat". Is it her belly, or her crop ( which is to the right of the neck, and will hang droopy and squishy when full of food)? Does she have any obvious wounds? Is she growing at the same rate of the other chicks? Is she warm enough, or maybe too warm? ( enough heat, but can also get away from the heat source)?

Quote:

I've never dealt with this myself- so hope someone who has jumps in soon. Same general "rules" for every "sick" bird though-- keep warm, near food and water, out of drafts,and separate from other chicks if they seem to be picking on her. Make sure she can get away from heat if it's too warm.

Quote:

No I didn't. They went outside to play in the grass Thursday. And actually she is almost 2 wks old. Tomorow she will be (I lose track of time). I was massaging her stomach too, to see if that helps. maybe she is conticpated? And I had set her down in a bowl for a second and then she got up and was liek WOAH where am i? Then went back to sleep.

If you had them outside, they more than likely ate some of the grass or something else. Have you offered them grit? I offer sand from my yard to my girls since I give them greens daily.

Do you give your chicks yogurt? It might help your chick's digestion.

I can start..I have grit for my big chickens and yogurt is cheap. Thanks guys I'll keep you updated!

Grit for the big chickens may be too large for the babies....take a hammer to it and see if you can make it finer for them. Just offer it in a dish beside their starter...they will know if they need it.

If you have not offered yogurt before, they may think it is poison like some of mine.
sickbyc.gif
I put their yogurt in a 4 oz yogurt cup (from my breakfast) and sprinkle starter over the top hiding the yogurt. It did the trick and they love the stuff.
woot.gif

Did you make sure she doesn't have pasty butt? The only reason she would be "constipated" is if she can't poop because she's plugged up. If there's any hard poop on her vent, soak it with warm water...it should soften and be easy to wipe off. Don't pull off dry pieces because you can accidentally hurt her.

Back
Top Bottom