1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloated chicken / lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bondchicks, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Bondchicks

Bondchicks New Egg

Oct 27, 2013
    Hi there, I am a newbie to chicken keeping,c(6 Monthes!!) I currently have five chicken. Two of them have suddenly become quite bloated , and seem under the weather, one not too bad the other more so, they have dirty rear ends and seem lethargic and gave spent the day hiding in bushes although pecking about a bit!!! Any idea what it is or what I can do - they are all around a year old.

2. finestservice

finestservice Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    going through same thing with my 6 month olds treating with corid get some as soon as possible. Mine started crashing very fast after symptoms. but I am new like you im sure others will have more info.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    By bloated, do you mean they are sitting puffed up? Coccidiosis causes puffing up, lethargy, diarrhea (occasionally with blood,) ruffled feathers, and poor appetite. If they fit these symptoms, I would treat with Corid (amprollium) 2 teaspoonsful of liquid (or 1 tsp of the powder) for 5-7 days. They may also need to be wormed with Safeguard or Valbazen. Check their vent areas for lice and mite eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by