Bloated chicks

Could they have gotten into a compost bed or some bad food? Is the crop emptying overnight? Coccidiosis is a good possibility. I would start some Corid in the water. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. You could keep the body of the one who died cold on ice in a cooler (do not freeze,) and send it to you pr state vet for a necropsy and testing. Here is a list of state vets to contact in the morning:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Because we’ve been putting them outside for “field trips“ when it’s been nice outside, it is very possible that they got into grass but they are in a confined space and cannot go out from that area except for into the coop. We did lose the one that prolapsed. We took her to the vet and it would not stay in. And she was bleeding so we knew there must’ve been a tear
How big is the prolapse? When you cleaned her off did it go back inside at all? I've never heard of a hen that age prolapsing, I've only heard of it in relation to egg laying. I may have to tag someone.

It was quite large and it was tried to put back in a few times and kept popping back out. We ended up losing her. It was the right thing to do. She was bleeding before we got her to our vet the other check we were able to expel a few times And she looked much better last night. I went down this morning to check on her and expelled her a little bit more and her crop feels pretty empty. I don’t know how long I should keep her separated or if I should put her back with the other chicks . I have not let her eat yet just have water. I’m waiting on my vet to call and give us his opinion. I’ve never had to do this to a chick before either, so this is completely new.

Back
Top Bottom