Bloated Crop: GI issues or Sour Crop

BrynsHyns

Chirping
Feb 24, 2021
Took this picture below to see if anyone has seen poo like this? Story below, any suggestions welcome!
Trying to keep one of my favorite hens alive. I noticed her crop hanging lower than I have ever seen. Felt hers vs her sister's and it was definitely bloated. I was thinking it was sour crop but she isn't stinky, and I couldn't feel an obstruction. Read the thread on impacted/sour/pendulous crop and it feels like sour, but not smelly. "Burped" her and her regurgitation wasn't sour smelling either. She layed an egg, so I'm not as worried about her being bound. She is chipper and on day 2+ of quarantine (other than just being annoyed at me for massaging her crop). First day just probiotic/electrolyte water and some coconut oil to help pass whatever was in her gut. Today I gave her some probiotic yogurt/coconut oil mix and have been checking poo. Tomorrow (day 3) I'll give her some scrambled eggs for protein. I got tylosin on the way but it won't be here for another 4 day because of labor day.
20210903_190714.jpg

Attachments

• 20210903_190556.jpg
    20210903_190556.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210903_190614.jpg
    20210903_190614.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 11
When are you checking the crop?

I would not vomit her. I would treat for Sour Crop and probably de-worm her.
Make sure she's got poultry grit (crushed granite) available. Do let her drink and I would let her eat.

Do you feed your birds grass or do they forage their own grass?

What's the Tylosin for? Does she have a respiratory infection?

To de-worm, you can use Safeguard liquid goat wormer at a rate of .23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days.

When are you checking the crop?

I would not vomit her. I would treat for Sour Crop and probably de-worm her.
Make sure she's got poultry grit (crushed granite) available. Do let her drink and I would let her eat.

Do you feed your birds grass or do they forage their own grass?

What's the Tylosin for? Does she have a respiratory infection?

To de-worm, you can use Safeguard liquid goat wormer at a rate of .23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days.
I have been checking first thing in the morning, when it should be empty. Then throughout the day. Should I stop massaging as I think the grass is through?

Should I just start with egg and hold off on grit until I reintroduce her to her pellets? I was going to do egg/yogurt tomorrow (Saturday), then Sunday give her mushy pellet crumble.

Stopped vomiting her as well. Only did it 3 times total and the last time it was just watery yogurt. (No grass or anything). The risk of aspiration is just too high.

They have free range in the backyard, so they have access to grass. Though we try and mow as best we can.

Tylosin is for potential gi infection being the underlying cause of the bloated crop. Vet friend (not avian) suggested it.

Should I deworm the whole flock do you think? I'm new to chickens and this whole episode is just been a huge learning experience.

How old are they?

If you think the grass is through, then I would give her a small amount of wet soupy feed. A bit of egg is ok too.
Grit is needed to process foods/materials, so...up to you whether to provide a little free choice for her now or wait. But I would go ahead and put some out for the others anyway.

With the crop being gassy, then I would treat for Sour Crop, which would be yeast/fungal so a anti-fungal/yeast medication would be suitable for treatment not an antibiotic which could make it worse. I use Clotrimazole to treat Sour Crop. Others use Miconazole, Nystatin or Acidified Copper Sulfate.
I agree, I would not vomit her again - it's risky for sure.

Is she on bedding in her isolation cage? I would make sure she's not eating bedding since she's not had anything to eat - this can complicate things. If she's eating bedding, then place her on puppy pads instead.

I would de-worm her. You can the whole flock if you wish. The mucousy poop may be just mucous from her trying to expel the grass or it may be from worms - hard to tell. I usually de-worm when treating for crop problems, just to cover bases.

We've all been new to chickens, so I understand. They can be a challenge at times. You're doing fine. Just keep going. Crop issues can take days to resolve.

The article linked below by @azygous is what I use when treating my birds. You may find it helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thanks for responding!!!
She is an almost 8 month old BCM.
She is on pine bedding, I have been trying to keep it clean, but have puppy pads to swap.
The chickens outside have a feeder full of free choice grit next to their food, but I was running low when she started to get bloated.
How long should I keep her isolated inside away from free choice food (grass) after starting the anti fungal?

Thanks for responding!!!
She is an almost 8 month old BCM.
She is on pine bedding, I have been trying to keep it clean, but have puppy pads to swap.
The chickens outside have a feeder full of free choice grit next to their food, but I was running low when she started to get bloated.
How long should I keep her isolated inside away from free choice food (grass) after starting the anti fungal?
I would see how the crop is this morning and what the poop looks like.

I agree, sometimes you do need to separate a bird to get them on track. Generally I leave mine with the flock and just treat them during the day. Early morning while roosting, then while roosting at night if it's a flighty bird/hard to catch.

I would see how the crop is this morning and what the poop looks like.

I agree, sometimes you do need to separate a bird to get them on track. Generally I leave mine with the flock and just treat them during the day. Early morning while roosting, then while roosting at night if it's a flighty bird/hard to catch.
She is still alive!
This morning Ashley (her twin the only other bcm's name is Mary Kate) layed an egg!

I do think she may possibly have worms after looking more at her poop.

My question is-
Should I treat for worms first? Could that be the real culprit? Or treat sour crop first? Is there a treatment that works for both?

She is still alive!
This morning Ashley (her twin the only other bcm's name is Mary Kate) layed an egg!

I do think she may possibly have worms after looking more at her poop.

My question is-
Should I treat for worms first? Could that be the real culprit? Or treat sour crop first? Is there a treatment that works for both?
You can treat for both at the same time.

Here is her pretty egg! She has had two different funky poop. I gave her some garlic with her egg/yogurt mix. I am a little concerned because the grit looks like brand new grit, not sure if it's normal for grit to just go through the system like that.

Attachments

• received_848049882513041.jpeg
    received_848049882513041.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210904_134019.jpg
    20210904_134019.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210904_134437.jpg
    20210904_134437.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 14
Here is her pretty egg! She has had two different funky poop. I gave her some garlic with her egg/yogurt mix. I am a little concerned because the grit looks like brand new grit, not sure if it's normal for grit to just go through the system like that.

For me, I'm a visual learner
https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/

this is a pretty decent picture collection of chicken poop that's healthy and abnormal and explanations why, with some experiences from the flock's owner as well.

I've never seen grit pass through the system like that or poop that's so green, but I wouldn't have any idea where to start on what might be wrong. I'm curious too and really want to see this resolved for you.

Back
Top Bottom