Bloated hen squatted when she walks

MeatNeggs2012

Chirping
6 Years
May 23, 2013
Berlin Heights, Ohio
This is one of my older hens. I noticed this morning when I opened the coop to let them out that she looks really large compared to her usual size. And when she was walking out I noticed she is squatting very low to the ground when she walks. Any idea what this could be? What do I need to do? Please help me help my old girl

Did you pick her up? If so, did her belly feel like a big, squishy ball? I have seen a couple older hens who swelled up like that due to ascites, an accumulation of fluid in the body cavity of the bird. The two I have seen were suffering from internal laying and the resultant infection caused the ascites. They had to be culled.

Last edited:
No she doesn't feel squishy at all she fels normal. Shes a very old hen thats been in my family for years and she hasn't layed in ages. She will probably just be culled in the next couple days as I can't let her go suffering as she is. Thank you

Did you pick her up? If so, did her belly feel like a big, squishy ball? I have seen a couple older hens who swelled up like that due to ascites, an accumulation of fluid in the body cavity of the bird. The two I have seen were suffering from internal laying and the resultant infection caused the ascites. They had to be culled.

So, I did an "autopsy"on my old girl after she passed and you were correct, she was full of fluid:(

Back
Top Bottom