Bloated hen

starryhen

Songster
13 Years
Apr 24, 2010
A Delaware hen first had issues with dirty skirts. I gave her a bit of nutri drench and she perked up and the skirts began to clear up. Then she started to look sick, just sitting while the other hens were pecking around the yard. I picked her up and was startled to feel the distended abdomed. I massaged bit and heard gurgling sounds. She semed better. I massaged her again the next day and she relaxed. Her vent seems open, clean and operational. My next step is to put her in warm epsom salt water and massage and also give nutri drench. The last two gave relief in the past. Other than bloated belly and discomfort from the bloat she seems normal - her comb is upright and a healthy color and she makes her contented noises. She appears to be eating and drinking normally at this point. But does anyone have a step by step procedure before puncturing or euthanasia? or any other new or unusual solutions?

A Delaware hen first had issues with dirty skirts. I gave her a bit of nutri drench and she perked up and the skirts began to clear up. Then she started to look sick, just sitting while the other hens were pecking around the yard. I picked her up and was startled to feel the distended abdomed. I massaged bit and heard gurgling sounds. She semed better. I massaged her again the next day and she relaxed. Her vent seems open, clean and operational. My next step is to put her in warm epsom salt water and massage and also give nutri drench. The last two gave relief in the past. Other than bloated belly and discomfort from the bloat she seems normal - her comb is upright and a healthy color and she makes her contented noises. She appears to be eating and drinking normally at this point. But does anyone have a step by step procedure before puncturing or euthanasia? or any other new or unusual solutions?
When similar posts came up it suggests the gurgling sound is likely a symptom of ascetis? Has anyone had success solving this problem? I'm researching.

Sorry your girl is sick. If it is ascites or another other of the similar laying type illnesses then things won't end well. If a vet is an option, it's best to start antibiotics as soon as you notice your bird is not feeling well, which sometimes is already too late.
Antibiotics can sometimes help the infection from getting worse but usually doesn't cure it.

What exactly do you feed your flock and how old is this particular bird?
Do you know when the last time she laid an egg was?

Assuming it is ascetis there is no cure as such.
The fluid can be drained and doing this may extend the hens life for a few months. Some keepers have drained a few times but eventually the hen will die from the organ failure that causes the ascetis.

When similar posts came up it suggests the gurgling sound is likely a symptom of ascetis? Has anyone had success solving this problem? I'm researching.
** I found some solutions:;
Risk factors: .. • High altitudes, Poor air quality or ventilation, High stocking density, Cold, Genetics, Old age, Congenital heart disease, Lung infections such as pneumonia, Excess salt in the body or salt intoxication, Poor hygiene, dirty pen, dirty feeders and dirty drinkers, Overfeeding, too much body fat deposition and rapid growth.
* Treatment and prevention:: .. 1 Eliminate bacteria and mold in the rearing facility. The accumulation of bacteria and mold in the facilities exposes the chickens to infections that could cause poor breathing and infection of the respiratory system. Hence, clean and disinfect the pens and equipment regularly. This will prevent ascites from being generated by bacteria or other harmful microorganisms.
  1. The feed could be reduced up to 25% from day 7 to 21 of the chicken’s life. This measure slows initial growth and generates longer production cycles but will reduce the chances of ascites.
  2. Provide a less energy-dense ration or diet in the early stage of life (7-21 days of age).
  3. Reduce daylight hours to avoid overfeeding.
  4. Restrict the time of access to feed rather than allowing the birds to eat at will.
  5. Decrease the particle size of the feed or switch from pellets to mash.
  6. Increase the levels or amount of vitamin C, E and selenium in the feed as it improves intestinal functions. 8 Use polyunsaturated fats such as omega 3 as it contains epoxides that help generate better liver activity, which results in a better ability to eliminate fluids. With this, it is possible to reduce right ventricular hypertrophy in chickens
  7. Use polyunsaturate fats such as imega 3 as it contains eoxides that help generate better liver activity - better eliminate fluids.
  8. Monitor the levels or amount of sodium chloride in feed and water. You can add baking soda to the feed to improve blood oxygenation.
  9. Maintaining proper ventilation to increase oxygen supply within the rearing pen and avoid overcrowding.
  10. Ensure optimal ambient temperature always. Provide heaters during extreme cold.
  11. Avoid the use of sawdust for birds raised on deep-litter pens. Wood shavings, rice straws, etc. are recommended. 5
  12. Avoid building pens at high altitudes. Anything above 900 meters is not recommended. livestocking net

** I found some solutions:;
Risk factors: .. • High altitudes, Poor air quality or ventilation, High stocking density, Cold, Genetics, Old age, Congenital heart disease, Lung infections such as pneumonia, Excess salt in the body or salt intoxication, Poor hygiene, dirty pen, dirty feeders and dirty drinkers, Overfeeding, too much body fat deposition and rapid growth.
* Treatment and prevention:: .. 1 Eliminate bacteria and mold in the rearing facility. The accumulation of bacteria and mold in the facilities exposes the chickens to infections that could cause poor breathing and infection of the respiratory system. Hence, clean and disinfect the pens and equipment regularly. This will prevent ascites from being generated by bacteria or other harmful microorganisms.
  1. The feed could be reduced up to 25% from day 7 to 21 of the chicken’s life. This measure slows initial growth and generates longer production cycles but will reduce the chances of ascites.
  2. Provide a less energy-dense ration or diet in the early stage of life (7-21 days of age).
  3. Reduce daylight hours to avoid overfeeding.
  4. Restrict the time of access to feed rather than allowing the birds to eat at will.
  5. Decrease the particle size of the feed or switch from pellets to mash.
  6. Increase the levels or amount of vitamin C, E and selenium in the feed as it improves intestinal functions. 8 Use polyunsaturated fats such as omega 3 as it contains epoxides that help generate better liver activity, which results in a better ability to eliminate fluids. With this, it is possible to reduce right ventricular hypertrophy in chickens
  7. Use polyunsaturate fats such as imega 3 as it contains eoxides that help generate better liver activity - better eliminate fluids.
  8. Monitor the levels or amount of sodium chloride in feed and water. You can add baking soda to the feed to improve blood oxygenation.
  9. Maintaining proper ventilation to increase oxygen supply within the rearing pen and avoid overcrowding.
  10. Ensure optimal ambient temperature always. Provide heaters during extreme cold.
  11. Avoid the use of sawdust for birds raised on deep-litter pens. Wood shavings, rice straws, etc. are recommended. 5
  12. Avoid building pens at high altitudes. Anything above 900 meters is not recommended. livestocking net
Are you still 'making' the majority of your flock's feed?
Post in thread 'Feeding The Roosters' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/feeding-the-roosters.276223/post-23429363

Back
Top Bottom