Bloated with air after hawk attack

Wallysgirls

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 11, 2018
Northern Wisconsin
About 2 weeks ago my americana pullet ( almost 4 months old) was attacked by a hawk. It had her on the ground and was on her back. My husband got there quickly and scared the hawk off. We inspected her as best we could and didn't find anything. Today she was acting a little sluggish. I picked her up and noticed she felt full of air. Having had a hen before that had acites, we knew it didnt feel the same. To make sure, we did insert a needle. It sounded like opening a soda bottle.
What could have caused this. Did we miss some injury when the hawk attacked her? Any ideas what we can expect now. Is there anything else we should be doing?
Thanks for any help you can give.

Chickens have 2 lungs and 9 air sacs. These nine air sacs are located in several locations in the body cavity: an unpaired one in the cervical area, two interclavicular air sacs, two abdominal air sacs, two anterior thoracic air sacs, and two posterior thoracic air sacs.
Sounds as if one of her sacs has been punctured. Often emptying the ballooning sac is enough for the healing to begin, but sometimes not. I'd periodically, as needed, release the air with a needle as you have done, and pray that it heals. You may consider antibiotics in case she's fighting infection from the puncture as well.

Here is a video showing the avian respiratory system so you can see where the air sacs are located. When an air sac is punctured or ruptured by injury the air leaks into the body under the skin causing the swelling. Small tears or punctures may heal on their own, but pressure from built up air can keep that from happening. If bacteria gets into the air sac then antibiotics may need to be given. If the air continues to accumulate then I would release it as needed.
https://www.centerforanimalrehab.org/first-aid-and-your-pet-bird/

Chickens have 2 lungs and 9 air sacs. These nine air sacs are located in several locations in the body cavity: an unpaired one in the cervical area, two interclavicular air sacs, two abdominal air sacs, two anterior thoracic air sacs, and two posterior thoracic air sacs.
Sounds as if one of her sacs has been punctured. Often emptying the ballooning sac is enough for the healing to begin, but sometimes not. I'd periodically, as needed, release the air with a needle as you have done, and pray that it heals. You may consider antibiotics in case she's fighting infection from the puncture as well.
Thanks☺. Ill be keeping a close eye on her. Ill check her again tonight for any missed wounds. If I find any Im guessing just put anti bacterial onintment on it?. Dang hawk anyway grrr.

Back
Top Bottom