Blockage in nostril! *Update, cleared with photos, pg.2*

Hey guys, sorry for a the late reply.

Well the blockage is out! I had her In the bathroom sink and had hot water and Q-tips at the ready. I gently started putting the moist Q-tips on the blockage and using my fingernail, started to chip away at one of the corners which was slightly raised.

After some squirming I managed one last pull and the whole thing came out in one big chunk! She didnt make any noises and seemed quite calm.

However I think the blockage has been there for quite some time because Zelda now has a gaping hole where her nostril should be! I can see right into her nose cavity.
I will post pictures soon.

So now I'm a bit unsure of what to do now. Should I put anything there to help? Will it partly grow back? She seems happy enough, still a bit gurgly but I'm sure she doesn't realize yet she can breath out of both nostrils now lol.

Ok here is Zelda's good nostril, very normal. I'm doing this on my iPad and didn't know how to resize, so just click the thumbnail to see a bigger picture.

And here is the other nostril, with the big hole.

Does this look ok?

Last edited:
She looks great!!!! She must be thrilled and it will take her a day or so to realize she can breath so much better...That "hole" really doesnt look bad at all--it looks big because it was stuck that way for a while!! Good job--Im glad the fingernail thing qworked as nasty as it sounded
hide.gif
woot.gif

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's a softer tissue, and is probably just stretched out.
I'm sure she feels alot better.
I am sure it will shrink down in time, if not, I don't think it will hurt her...

Thanks for all the lovely messages! She's a tough cookie, il let you all know how she's going.

Oh and Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Hope you all had a good Christmas!

Zelda's nostril has shrunk down in size and looks near enough normal. She does however still have the gurgly nose. Again she doesn't have any rattling in her chest, just in her nose area. I just want to tell her to just sneeze it all up lol.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

I would say that Zelda is one lucky hen. I don't know too many people who'd dig the snot out of a chicken's nose with their own fingernail. You obviously love her a lot. Way to go!!
cool.png

Hello, I know your post was a while back, but I have the exact same blockage on my Roosters Nostril. Can you tell me if you ever got your blockage out of yours. How did you do it. We have been using warm saline water the last week and then Neosporin on it with a q-tip. It got bigger and then we started that and the next day it started going down, but very hard. He has no problem doing anything and he is not weezing.

Back
Top Bottom