Blockage in nostril! *Update, cleared with photos, pg.2*

Lavisy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 7, 2010
Perth, WA
Hi everyone.

I have an unusual problem. I bought this little Peking from the Perth royal show this year and have had many problems with her ( not buying any from a show again). She had a little bit of the sniffles and worms. The worms have been treated and poos are all normal. However the gurgling noises are still there.

On closer inspection I have noticed one nostril completely blocked up with hard substrate. The other is fine with no crusty bits.
She is always breathing with her mouth open as though she is struggling. It feels just like when we have a blocked nose but can only breath with one nostril, it becomes quite hard to breath.

She doesn't sneeze very often just sounds gurgled, and i think its because it's blocked and she has excess liquid behind the blockage.

I have tried to chip away at it, small bits rub off with my nail but it's well and truly in there, no idea how long it's been like this....poor little baby, she is so small too.

She is eating and drinking normally and has been laying.

Does anyone have any ideas on removing this blockage, to soften it up etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would bring her into the bathtub and give her the spa treatment. Perhaps if she were in there long enough, it may soften up enough to wipe it off, or out.
As long as she lets you pick at it, the warm moisture should help soften it up.
The rattling sound has me worried, is the sound in her lungs, or just her head?

Thanks for the quick reply. It's night time here now, so I will go check where the sound is coming from tomorrow morning. I will also take a picture of the blockage.

I feel so bad for her, she is the sweetest little thing and so tame. Must be so annoying for her, I know it annoys me when a blocked nose doesn't go away!

The spa treatment sounds good, I will try to soften the blockage and chip away at it. Would some kind of oil or baby oil help do you think?

I don't know about oil... I would just use warm water.
Do you have any Vet RX?
That is specifically made for respiratory use... maybe try to find some today?
It is common enough, have seen it in pet stores.
Come to think of it, Vet RX has oil in it, a light oil...try it, don't go overboard on it, tho.

Ok well I checked on Zelda this morning and had a listen to her breathing. I put my ear right up to her body and couldnt hear any rattling in her chest area. All the noises were comming from the nose and throat area. Here is a photo of the blockage:

zeldaresized.jpg

I will bring her inside today and try to remove the blockage with the warm water and some careful chipping away. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Any other suggestions would also be greatly appreciated, plus anyone who has had something similar.
Thanks!

It's hard to tell from the picture what the material is (although you did a great job getting a close-up picture). It reminds me of my leghorn, who pecks away at dirt more than my other hens, and always has very dirty nostrils. Could it be that dirt and other material built up and hardened over time? Maybe apply some olive or mineral oil to the area, let soak in for a few minutes, and use a Q Tip to see if any of it can be removed easily. Good luck with this!

Yea I do think its material that's built up over time. Especially being a show bird being kept in a small cage in a dusty environment for a whole week, like they do at the royal show. I just don't know how long its been like this, its pretty hardened up in the nostril... Poor little thing.

I just watched a video of Dr Ross Perry removing a blockage that from a cockatiel on YouTube. He uses a hypo needle and carefully "digs" it out. It was kinda gross but really interesting.

Edit: The gross part was the wad of snot on the last bit he pulled out.

Last edited:
There are times where I've had to do this to my birds. They get dust bathiing and inhaling the dirt and crud and it builds up around their nostrils. I know it sounds gross but the only way I have taken anything out is by my finger nails. I dont have long nails but I can hold a bird and chip away at the crud-it usually comes off in one big piece if you can get a corner to lift. I tried using tweezers and all sorts of instruments but nothing worked compared to feeling it with my bare fingers. Gross yes-but I scrubbed my fingers and nails afterwards and then cut my nails off! I dont like having stubbing nails but worth it to help a bird breath the way they should...good luck

Back
Top Bottom