Blocky headed chick - would this suggest roo?

2ndTink

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Aug 23, 2020
I have an EE chick named Peaches that is a week old and has a really square shaped head. I was picking out chicks with cheeks and this chick had by far the poofiest head and cheeks. I have a second chick this same color and it has cheeks but a normal rounded shape head, as do the other 4 EE's I bought.

Any chance this block head means it is a rooster? Or will it grow some interesting head feathers, or is this just chick fluff that will do who knows what as it grows?

I know some people have mentioned sometimes chicks just look roo-ish even from a young age, this chick definitely doesn't look feminine, but maybe she'll grow out of her square stage 🤣

Attachments

• 20210225_191837.jpg
    20210225_191837.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210225_191810.jpg
    20210225_191810.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210225_191856.jpg
    20210225_191856.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 9
I have an EE chick named Peaches that is a week old and has a really square shaped head. I was picking out chicks with cheeks and this chick had by far the poofiest head and cheeks. I have a second chick this same color and it has cheeks but a normal rounded shape head, as do the other 4 EE's I bought.

Any chance this block head means it is a rooster? Or will it grow some interesting head feathers, or is this just chick fluff that will do who knows what as it grows?

I know some people have mentioned sometimes chicks just look roo-ish even from a young age, this chick definitely doesn't look feminine, but maybe she'll grow out of her square stage 🤣
It is floofy. It could be male or female, because head shape does not show male or female. Too young to sex but post pics in 6 or more weeks for identification.

What an Adorable looking Chick! 💜

Ha! Thanks everyone, I was just curious, I know it is way too young to sex, but that fluff, holy cow! I wasn't sure if it might be indicative of an super poof EE roo.

🤣🤣🤣

I'm going to be sad when it loses all its peach fuzz.

It's just a super adorable chick!

Attachments

• 20210220_082341.jpg
    20210220_082341.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210220_082254.jpg
    20210220_082254.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 9

I agree with everyone else that head shape isn't a good determining factor in sex. Personality however can be a good detector. My little roosters, no matter what breed are always the most curious, boisterous and tend to spar with each other a lot! I have had luck feather sexing but that's not 100% either. Enjoy watching it grow bc it's a beautiful chick for sure!!

Back
Top Bottom