Bloddy vent

Poor thing!

Can you tell if the yellowish gritty stuff is egg matter or lash material versus urates?
I took this pic of her today. I don’t think it is egg matter. When I was inserting my finger it feels like the gritty stuff is around the edges of her inside lining. I also thought she had white poop stuck so I gently tried to wipe it away from the center of her vent but it felt like part of her flesh (like the tip of a finger almost).

I’m hoping I’m making sense.

Attachments

• 8EA6AA26-5239-40FF-850F-5843F00E6C7C.jpeg
    8EA6AA26-5239-40FF-850F-5843F00E6C7C.jpeg
    417 KB · Views: 9
  • B9A69E84-0727-4F2E-9BC6-40421AE0BFB5.jpeg
    B9A69E84-0727-4F2E-9BC6-40421AE0BFB5.jpeg
    430.9 KB · Views: 7
ALERT!! Graphic images!!!

Here is where we are at with Opie. I was able to help assist in the egg-laying but it was a normal egg that she lays any other day. Pics are of what her vent looks like now. She is still trying to push and pushed out a blood clot. I tried cleaning her vent with a saline rinse. I’m at home with my children and can’t get to the store for another hour or so.
She is also quite warm in her vent but we do live in the desert and it’s warm.
what do I do?
https://youtube.com/shorts/5RXR-wCUoOY

Attachments

• 51F14D4E-3A0F-44D7-A7B8-331A9A8CE1AA.jpeg
    51F14D4E-3A0F-44D7-A7B8-331A9A8CE1AA.jpeg
    556.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 72521167-8295-4C79-9054-6DA5CCD43CB7.jpeg
    72521167-8295-4C79-9054-6DA5CCD43CB7.jpeg
    445.2 KB · Views: 7
  • CA0D1C3E-6EAE-4F55-B008-A7082B7FAB74.jpeg
    CA0D1C3E-6EAE-4F55-B008-A7082B7FAB74.jpeg
    519.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 091EFE7F-B0B4-4543-8BD1-80819FF90914.jpeg
    091EFE7F-B0B4-4543-8BD1-80819FF90914.jpeg
    502.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
ALERT!! Graphic images!!!

Here is where we are at with Opie. I was able to help assist in the egg-laying but it was a normal egg that she lays any other day. Pics are of what her vent looks like now. She is still trying to push and pushed out a blood clot. I tried cleaning her vent with a saline rinse. I’m at home with my children and can’t get to the store for another hour or so.
She is also quite warm in her vent but we do live in the desert and it’s warm.
what do I do?
https://youtube.com/shorts/5RXR-wCUoOY
Poor girl!
So she was able to lay an egg today?
I'm sorry, I wish I could see the video, but it says it's private.
The hard gritty part at the top I would suspect is hardened urates and poop or possibly a mixture with lash material or a membrane if it's rubbery, so hard to know. Looking at it, I would say that's what she's feeling and trying to push out. You can try working some oil around that to see if it will loosen up and finally release.

The blood clot is concerning to me. She may have a rupture somewhere or it may just be an accumulation from the injury.
I would be inclined to administer an antibiotic. Amoxicillin would be good, but usually that needs to be ordered online. Do you have anything on hand?

At this point, I think you are doing everything you can for her. I do understand, it can be stressful not only for the hen, but for the keeper as well. It would be warm in the vent, not sure if you have a thermometer, but an adult hen's normal body temp ranges 105-107F.

1616467750392.png

Poor girl!
So she was able to lay an egg today?
I'm sorry, I wish I could see the video, but it says it's private.
The hard gritty part at the top I would suspect is hardened urates and poop or possibly a mixture with lash material or a membrane if it's rubbery, so hard to know. Looking at it, I would say that's what she's feeling and trying to push out. You can try working some oil around that to see if it will loosen up and finally release.

The blood clot is concerning to me. She may have a rupture somewhere or it may just be an accumulation from the injury.
I would be inclined to administer an antibiotic. Amoxicillin would be good, but usually that needs to be ordered online. Do you have anything on hand?

At this point, I think you are doing everything you can for her. I do understand, it can be stressful not only for the hen, but for the keeper as well. It would be warm in the vent, not sure if you have a thermometer, but an adult hen's normal body temp ranges 105-107F.

View attachment 2581287
This is very helpful info. Thank you. I so appreciate it.

I don’t have any amoxicillin on hand. I do have colloidal silver...? 🤷🏻‍♀️ I also read something about a fish antibiotic you can get at the store. Would either of those work?
I will rub some coconut oil on the hard stuff tomorrow. She pooped some after Ihelped her lay the egg and some of it was hard. A few hours later she pooped more of a light beige color liquid. I did give her coconut oil in hopes to help her crop empty and anything else move through her and was thinking maybe that’s why it is so light. It does smell pretty bad.
Is it likely she will produce another egg? I’m afraid of this as it was so hard for her to lay this one. I have been keeping her in a low lit room.
I hope I’m doing the right thing. I’m a first timer with a flock and it seems I have been through the ringer so far with my girls.

This is very helpful info. Thank you. I so appreciate it.

I don’t have any amoxicillin on hand. I do have colloidal silver...? 🤷🏻‍♀️ I also read something about a fish antibiotic you can get at the store. Would either of those work?
I will rub some coconut oil on the hard stuff tomorrow. She pooped some after Ihelped her lay the egg and some of it was hard. A few hours later she pooped more of a light beige color liquid. I did give her coconut oil in hopes to help her crop empty and anything else move through her and was thinking maybe that’s why it is so light. It does smell pretty bad.
Is it likely she will produce another egg? I’m afraid of this as it was so hard for her to lay this one. I have been keeping her in a low lit room.
I hope I’m doing the right thing. I’m a first timer with a flock and it seems I have been through the ringer so far with my girls.
Fish Mox I was able to get at TSC it’s the same as amoxicillin. They do my had 500mg and our girl needed 250mg so we had to split it up. I’m hoping your girl gets better! :hugs

She may produce another egg. Even injured they can still lay eggs.
To stop her from laying she would need to be in total darkness for 16hrs a day. It would take several days for her to stop.

Fish antibiotics are fine to give. The Amoxicillin is called Fish Mox https://fishmoxfishflex.com/collect...-equivalent-aqua-amoxicillin-250-mg-100-count
Tractor Supply used to carry it on the shelf, but I noticed the last few times I looked it up for folks it was no longer available.

Baytril has to be ordered as well. https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Shipping may be slow on some things. If you have a good relationship with a vet that cares for another pet you have (dog/cat) you may be able to talk them into giving you meds - that's another thought.

Those 2 would be what I would prefer to give her if she were mine, but since you mention odor - if infection, then if you can't get meds fairly quickly, I would go to TSC and get Procaine Penicillin G. It's in the refrigerated section. Get the smallest syringes they have along with 20gauge needles. You can use that, but it's not as effective as Amoxicillin or Baytril.
Do keep in mind that if you or someone in your family is allergic to penicillins or baytril, that any eggs she lays should not be consumed.

You are doing fine. She may have more going on and it's possible she may not make it, but you are doing all you can for her.

LONG Update on Opie:
She has laid an egg each days since I helped her lay the first one on Monday, after not being able to for 2 days. The first two were accompanied with small blood clots and she hasn’t had one since. She has, however, had light pink discharge occasionally.
Yesterday (Wednesday in Ca) I was able to remove some of the hardened gritty gunk that was stuck in her vent and she was able to push some out today which felt gritty and rubbery.
I have let her out of the crate a few times to let her walk around. She has liked that.
Yesterday I also allowed her in the run and coop, locked away from the other girls and she wanted out. She flew up a few times, I’m assuming she thought she could get through the gate to her friends. I went out to check on her and she was in a corner with her eyes closed....maybe it was too much for her?🤷🏻‍♀️
This morning I let her out, in my garage and safely with me, to walk a little. She was exploring and then would take breaks, puffing out and closing her eyes.
She is eating some, not much, and drinking...pooping little bits here and there. She will sometimes poop and it is watery and white. She will sometimes just push out a clearish liquid.
In one of the videos you may be able to hear it but she will periodically let out air..not a grunt but air. As if she has been holding her breath or grunting.
Below are pics of her poop and a couple videos of her recent behavior.
Should I continue to keep her in the crate even if she is desiring to be let out?
At what point does someone decide to cull a chicken? This is my worst fear but I also don’t want her to suffer.

https://youtube.com/shorts/rPn2fRYXN9k
https://youtube.com/shorts/UPBRrIxhXNI

Attachments

• 4152AD6E-37DD-4760-ADBD-3C5DEAB33D3E.jpeg
    4152AD6E-37DD-4760-ADBD-3C5DEAB33D3E.jpeg
    607.5 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom