Blood in coop, below roosting bar this morning

MacChickens

Hatching
Aug 16, 2023
Went to let the hens out this morning, and I noticed blood in their coop, right below the roosting bar:

Things to note:
1. Noticed one of the hens (shown below) looks smaller - possible weight loss in the past 2 weeks.
2. Same hen - change in comb size (smaller) and color (duller).
3. Same hen - eating as normal. Haven't changed her diet in 9 months. Feeding bits of our food + pellets shown below.
4. Finding more feathers in the coop than normal.
5. 2-3 years old.
6. We have 5 hens - egg production has dropped in the past few days (3-5 a day, and yesterday we had zero, although I found one this morning in the run).
7. None of them are broody at the moment.
8. No roosters.
9. We let them out almost everyday to free range.
10. They have plenty of water.
11. I clean their coop out and refresh their bedding at least once a week, sometimes twice depending on how dirty.

Any advice / help is appreciated!
20230816_074953~2.jpg
20230816_074745.jpg
20230816_074823.jpg
20230816_075435.jpg

That looks more like someone was pecked or injured. Do you see any blood on the roost bar? I have had a few blood spatters found, and it can be impossible to find the comb that was pecked. Look at your feeders and waterers for any splatters which are common from comb injuries. Also look for any bleeding blood feathers on feathered feet or on the body. If a blood feather is pecked, they can bleed a bit until the feather shaft is pulled out with pliers.

Thank you! Is there anything in particular that would cause them to peck each other more than normal?

Sometimes it can be from overcrowding, boredom if not getting outside to free range, too little protein in the diet (less that 16-20% protein,) too much light inside laying areas, roosts too close together, and some breeds or particular birds can be more aggressive. Pinless peepers are good if there is just one bird pecking. Spend some time with them to watch if they are pecking especially when inside the coop and at roost time.

Back
Top Bottom