Blood in egg, blood in poop, strange walk

I would insist on the implant if he is in any way open to the idea of giving her one. MSM is a natural sulphur that can be bought online and is unbelievable for bringing down inflammation. It has outperformed corticosteroids such as Predisnone in combating swelling from arthritis. I can personally vouch for it, as I had to use it myself for gross swelling when steroids could no longer be used due to bone density issues from prolonged use of Dexamethasone. If you can get 750mg or 1000 mg capsules and give her 1/4 of a capsule 3 times daily. This is a safe dose for hens and after a few days will work wonders on the inflammation. One of mine had Salpingitis and got a lash egg stuck pretty far back. At first when I put my hand up her vent I couldn't get it entirely around the egg. 3-4 days after starting MSM treatment I could get my hand fully around it, it was like it had shrunk. The stuff is unbelievable and a huge benefit is you won't need to go through the vet to get it, plus it doesn't come with the awful side effects of meds. A combination of Amoxicillin with Clavulanic Acid (250 mg tablet combo-200mg Amox/50mg CA) is one of the best antibiotics for combatting EYP, Salpingitis, etc. If you can get her implanted and put her on the above antibiotics plus the MSM she has a chance.
Not in the US, you can't insist. One may, after all, sue the vet if they've done something illegal and win, even if they requested it in the first place. The legal system here is a thing of wonder. I will look into MSM, thank you so much for the tip! Unfortunately Clavulanic Acid tastes disgusting, so I won't be able to put the antibiotic in food (like I can easily do with amoxicillin alone, and I was hoping to do with cipro). For the previous hen, I poured disgusting tasting, prescription SMZ/TMP down her gullet, and it only bought me 3 months with a lot of stress on the hen. After seeing everybody's stories about Isa Browns (the battery hen breed, basically), and after my own experience, I'm having a hard time believing at this point that the problems caused by laying every day for two years are actually fixable. If I can improve the hen's health without undue stress on the hen, I will do so, but otherwise I plan to focus on the quality of life they have left. I wonder if I would have done better had I known about Isa Browns beforehand, but I didn't buy the chicks myself so I had no idea.

Not in the US, you can't insist. One may, after all, sue the vet if they've done something illegal and win, even if they requested it in the first place. The legal system here is a thing of wonder. I will look into MSM, thank you so much for the tip! Unfortunately Clavulanic Acid tastes disgusting, so I won't be able to put the antibiotic in food (like I can easily do with amoxicillin alone, and I was hoping to do with cipro). For the previous hen, I poured disgusting tasting, prescription SMZ/TMP down her gullet, and it only bought me 3 months with a lot of stress on the hen. After seeing everybody's stories about Isa Browns (the battery hen breed, basically), and after my own experience, I'm having a hard time believing at this point that the problems caused by laying every day for two years are actually fixable. If I can improve the hen's health without undue stress on the hen, I will do so, but otherwise I plan to focus on the quality of life they have left. I wonder if I would have done better had I known about Isa Browns beforehand, but I didn't buy the chicks myself so I had no idea.
Yeah her survival would depend on her being implanted. If she can't be implanted then there's not an awful lot more you can do other than keep her comfortable, as you said. I don't know why they don't allow it in the States. Yes definitely get the MSM, I can't recommend it highly enough. Chickens can take very high doses of it per kilo of bodyweight. I will post a study below. To administer the antibiotics and meds you could order some empty gelatin capsules. They are a lifesaver when you have a sick hen that won't take her meds. They are very cheap and you can get about thousand capsules per bag, so you'll have them for future use. Size 00 holds 1ml of liquid. Or if the antibiotics are in tablet form just chop them up and put them in the capsules. They look big at first but they slip down their throats very easily and it saves them the stress of having to taste the meds. The MSM I usually just put 1/4 tablet into a blueberry and they wolf it down. But obviously you can also pop it into the capsule with her meds. This will make life much easier on you both for the time she has left. Will your vet administer some pain meds for her?

https://experts.illinois.edu/en/pub...distribution-of-methylsulfonylmethane-followi

Yeah her survival would depend on her being implanted. If she can't be implanted then there's not an awful lot more you can do other than keep her comfortable, as you said. I don't know why they don't allow it in the States. Yes definitely get the MSM, I can't recommend it highly enough. Chickens can take very high doses of it per kilo of bodyweight. I will post a study below. To administer the antibiotics and meds you could order some empty gelatin capsules. They are a lifesaver when you have a sick hen that won't take her meds. They are very cheap and you can get about thousand capsules per bag, so you'll have them for future use. Size 00 holds 1ml of liquid. Or if the antibiotics are in tablet form just chop them up and put them in the capsules. They look big at first but they slip down their throats very easily and it saves them the stress of having to taste the meds. The MSM I usually just put 1/4 tablet into a blueberry and they wolf it down. But obviously you can also pop it into the capsule with her meds. This will make life much easier on you both for the time she has left. Will your vet administer some pain meds for her?

https://experts.illinois.edu/en/pub...distribution-of-methylsulfonylmethane-followi
I have no idea why they don't allow implants for chickens. But then again, you can't buy dewormers specifically for chickens in US either. I think they just haven't caught up with the needs of the backyard farmer. Two years ago we didn't have a vet in town that officially treated chicken either, and now we have a couple, so there is hope. I have a meloxicam prescription if needed. Thank you for the capsule tip and the MSM info!

Back
Top Bottom