Blood in Incubator.

MyNameIs86

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
New Jersey
So I just had a second chick hatch. :) But bad news.. It has pasty butt right from hatching. And even worse as I was going away from the incubator i noticed blood on the towel i have in the incubator!!!! can't be a good sign right?
what do i do to treat the pasty butt? every time i have hatched one chick always has pasty butt from hatching and it's blackish in color. poor baby. not sure where the blood came from, perhaps the first chick is peking the pasty butt of the other?

I'm curious about the brooder box too. I have a heat pad that I am planning to put under the box which is a plastic container.
I'm wondering if that would be good enough just for the night instead of a lamp on top?

Are you positive its not the yolk sac that didnt get absorbed all the way? Ive had that happen a few times. Id recommend a heat lamp. That way the chicks can get under the light when they want more heat and walk away before they get too hot.

Are you positive its not the yolk sac that didnt get absorbed all the way? Ive had that happen a few times. Id recommend a heat lamp. That way the chicks can get under the light when they want more heat and walk away before they get too hot.

My brooder box is very long and i have the heating pad under like 1/3 of it so there is still room to cool off. but planning to leave the chicks in the incubator over night... (maybe).

here's my brooder box:

here's the spots in the incubator that made me worried. They are indicated in the circles:

Back
Top Bottom