Little Giant Incubator lifespan

Owllea

Chirping
May 23, 2021
NE Kansas
Just curious how many hatches or years someone has gotten out of a little giant styrofoam incubator. I’ve got the lowest model: I hand turn the eggs, it is a still air, and I use dry incubation until lockdown and have to add water daily to keep humidity up. Despite all that, I’ve had pretty good success.
I’ve been using the incubator for the last four years, just one or two hatches a year, no more than 12 birds at a time. But I’m finding it harder and harder to clean after a messy hatch. And the heating element has some suspicious melty spots.
I wouldn’t even know what to look into for a replacement incubator but plastic instead of styrofoam seems like an easier clean to me.
Any input is appreciated! Wishing many successful hatches to you all!

Just curious how many hatches or years someone has gotten out of a little giant styrofoam incubator. I’ve got the lowest model: I hand turn the eggs, it is a still air, and I use dry incubation until lockdown and have to add water daily to keep humidity up. Despite all that, I’ve had pretty good success.
I’ve been using the incubator for the last four years, just one or two hatches a year, no more than 12 birds at a time. But I’m finding it harder and harder to clean after a messy hatch. And the heating element has some suspicious melty spots.
I wouldn’t even know what to look into for a replacement incubator but plastic instead of styrofoam seems like an easier clean to me.
Any input is appreciated! Wishing many successful hatches to you all!

A popular incubator many have is the NR360. It auto turns but not auto humidity. That's why it's in the basement and I have two Brinsea 56EX's. I don't dry hatch though so maybe the auto humidity isn't such an issue with you as it is with me.

Another smaller version of the NR360 and cheaper is Kebonnix. That one isn't auto-humidity either but turns and it is popular.

Thank you and may you have many successful hatches as well!

Ive got three stryo incubators that Ive used for 15 years. one 1588, one 1583 and a 1588 that I rewired with a wafer thermostat.. Ive got an old LG that I don't use anymore but it still works fine.. I

Back
Top Bottom