Blood in poo (warning: poo pics)

Aug 17, 2020
Quebec, Canada
Oh my.... Need something more to worry about? I have this on the poo board from last night in the coop. They switch sleeping places so I don't know which girl yet... What am I going to find ? Bloody butt from a cut? Internal egg ? Worms ?

Attachments

• IMG_20220623_122950_690.jpg
    IMG_20220623_122950_690.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 14
That looks like a fairly normal dropping, except with blood. How old are your chickens? If they are young under 12 weeks old, I would consider treating for possible coccidiosis with Corid. If they are older, worms can cause blood as well. Can you examine some vents for any blood? Are any chickens acting lethargic or not eating?

;)That looks like a fairly normal dropping, except with blood. How old are your chickens? If they are young under 12 weeks old, I would consider treating for possible coccidiosis with Corid. If they are older, worms can cause blood as well. Can you examine some vents for any blood? Are any chickens acting lethargic or not eating?
They are 2 yrs 6months 3 weeks 4 days (but whose counting ;) ).... Let's just say 2 yrs 7 months for simplicity

I cut up & squished the poo after taking the pic and I agree it is a very nice little contribution to the fertilizer bucket, there was nothing inside that looked off. There was no blood marbling so if it is a cut or issue it would not be inside it would be the final poo chamber.

They go outside most days, have for all their lives, and they were vaccinated before I got them, so (if I understand correctly) they should not be vulnerable to coccidiosis. But that leaves other predatory bugs/worms.

I can't check bums until tomorrow, I'll get home from work around 11pm and the butts will be snoring at that time of day.

I am worried because I have another hen that has a swollen (very hard) abdomen currently in the house. I thought it was water-belly but she seems to be recovering without being 'drained' which likely means I got the diagnosis wrong.

Oh! Forgot one question on your list, yesterday no one was lethargic but I don't know about today because they were all huddled under the henhouse hiding from pouring rain. So I get to worry until tomorrow :( when I can butt check.

Hopefully. Watch for any lethargy or standing puffed up in the young ones. Having multiple aged chickens, the young ones can sometimes get coccidiosis. Keep bedding dry and as clean as possible. They build up a resistance to coccidia in the soil and poop as they grow up.

Hi, I am back, not often but once in a while I am seeing similar poos, so I am ready to bite the bullet and worm them. I have both safeguard (equine paste) and corid (liquid)

Which is a best to start with ? No one is lethargic, one sometimes has a weak comb, but she is very spry. They are all 2yr 8months old. All bantam, half are Leghorns, half are RIR.

SafeGuard is a wormer. Corid treats coccidiosis. Safeguard dosage is 0.25 ml of the paste for each pound of weight. Give it once orally and again in 10 days, to treat roundworms. Give it for 5 consecutive days for roundworms, capillary worms, cecal and gapeworm.

To treat for coccidiosis, Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

Back
Top Bottom