Blood in poo (warning: poo pics)

They can still have worms in the poop but not seen. The worm eggs may only be seen with a microscope at the vet.
They are on day two, so far so good. They like the taste of Safeguard and I put it on top shelf snacks, so they appreciate the attention. ;)

How do I know if it is working if I won't see worms in poo ? I have been picking up all the poo I spot with toilet paper to smoosh and see if I spot anything. So far it is just a weird behavior the chickens must assume is a crazy-human fetish, none of them contain anything interesting.

This is just an act of faith? I assume after the fifth day everyone is clean ?

They are on day two, so far so good. They like the taste of Safeguard and I put it on top shelf snacks, so they appreciate the attention. ;)

How do I know if it is working if I won't see worms in poo ? I have been picking up all the poo I spot with toilet paper to smoosh and see if I spot anything. So far it is just a weird behavior the chickens must assume is a crazy-human fetish, none of them contain anything interesting.

This is just an act of faith? I assume after the fifth day everyone is clean ?
Worms are released from the intestinal lining, then absorbed as protein. It's highly unlikely you'll see worms in feces unless there is an overload. Yes, by the 5th day your birds will be worm free. Have patience and dont worry, everything will be fine.

Worms are released from the intestinal lining, then absorbed as protein. It's highly unlikely you'll see worms in feces unless there is an overload. Yes, by the 5th day your birds will be worm free. Have patience and dont worry, everything will be fine.
I am glad the process is so clean: I was concerned if the poos contained worms they could re-infect. But I admit I was looking forward to seeing the darn things and squishing them but good for hurting my girls. I will have to forgo the pleasure of the squish ;) but at least I can stop investigating the poo.

Thank you for your patience, it is a lot to learn ... Seems I never know much as I think I do. So many surprises along the way! I never would have thought in the end... The chickens "eat" their attackers. ( Absorb, eat ;) either way )

If worms were excreted, they would be dead or dying and there's no way they could infect your birds. As a matter of fact, I've seen chickens turn around and actually eat large roundworms. :sick

There are two ways that chickens get worms: the Direct lifecycle, in which worm eggs are picked up when a chicken pecks the ground and the eggs are swallowed.
The Indirect lifecycle, in which a host such as an infected insect is eaten which then infects the chicken.

I've seen chickens turn around and actually eat large roundworms. :sick
I agree with your 'yuck'

Although... I appreciate the spirit of self-determination that is embodied in the chicken that turns around and defiantly eats the bug that tried to colonize it. Glad I didn't see it though... I think I would look at that chicken cross-ways after that... 'yuck' indeed...

Thanks for explaining the dead bugs, I was afraid their could be live eggs in the excretion and that would start another cycle of infestation.

In truth I never saw a bug, just one hen seems to have had bloody stools a few times, but they never dropped in front of me, and since they are now coming on 3 years and never wormed I decided it might be a good precaution.

Day 3 of Safeguard on the leghorns. I will do the RIR afterwards. That leaves me half my eggs as 'ok' and a better learning curve, as half a flock to dose each day is more manageable than everyone.

Hope you are well, wish I could send you some of my vegetable garden's crop as a thanks, but I will send you some prayers for lovely days instead. đź’–

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom