Blood in stool

farmgurlwannabe

Chirping
May 27, 2020
We have 3 copper Marans/1 legbar copper Maran mix about 4-5weeks old. Only one we just noticed is producing blood in stool but not sure which. We have never experienced this before. We purchased them from a local small lady who had lots of chickens. We have a good bit of chickens of our own that are all very healthy. I am at loss for what’s going on and am worried it will affect the others.
please help!

Attachments

• B29CF00D-2829-4E21-A3F4-DBCC3064F444.jpeg
    B29CF00D-2829-4E21-A3F4-DBCC3064F444.jpeg
    675 KB · Views: 10
  • B3AF3D8B-1F44-4B88-B1A2-A8F12226EBEA.jpeg
    B3AF3D8B-1F44-4B88-B1A2-A8F12226EBEA.jpeg
    592.1 KB · Views: 6
It’s probably coccidiosis, which is quite common. This is mostly spread by wild birds, so it’s not the fault of the woman you bought them from. You need to get some Corid and treat all of them.

https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/blog/coccidiosis-your-chickens-what-you-need-to-know/
Tree all of the chickens we only on the property? Or only the ones that are together? Is the idea there that whatever wild bird dropped this on our property the other chickens we have that free range can come into contact with it on the ground? Also my next question is with the cord I have heard it causes other issues. What type of supplements will we need to implement in order to offset the side effects from the medication.Thanks for your help and any insight.

Tree all of the chickens we only on the property? Or only the ones that are together? Is the idea there that whatever wild bird dropped this on our property the other chickens we have that free range can come into contact with it on the ground? Also my next question is with the cord I have heard it causes other issues. What type of supplements will we need to implement in order to offset the side effects from the medication.Thanks for your help and any insight.
I would treat everyone who is in this same flock - especially if they are all together and drinking the same water - unaffected birds will not be harmed by the treatment., and since cocci sometimes doesn’t present symptoms in everyone it’s best to treat them all. Coccidiosis mostly affects younger birds so if you have older birds that are separate from them, there is probably no need to treat them. If you’re offering the Corid in powder form in their drinking water, make sure it is their only source of drinking water to assure that they are getting the medication in their systems.
Corid (amprolium) works by starving the cocci parasite of vitamin b... which also starves your chicken of vitamin b. After treatment, I always offer ACV in their water to restore those essential vitamins and minerals.
You’re welcome and good luck to you!

I would treat everyone who is in this same flock - especially if they are all together and drinking the same water - unaffected birds will not be harmed by the treatment., and since cocci sometimes doesn’t present symptoms in everyone it’s best to treat them all. Coccidiosis mostly affects younger birds so if you have older birds that are separate from them, there is probably no need to treat them. If you’re offering the Corid in powder form in their drinking water, make sure it is their only source of drinking water to assure that they are getting the medication in their systems.
Corid (amprolium) works by starving the cocci parasite of vitamin b... which also starves your chicken of vitamin b. After treatment, I always offer ACV in their water to restore those essential vitamins and minerals.
You’re welcome and good luck to you!
Thanks again, blood has stopped. But one more question- another chicken I treated for the first time outside of the ones that were initially infected, just dropped dead the very next day after treatment. She had been perfect. She didn’t have any symptoms I was just treating to prevent. She acted sick, payed around, closed her eyes and then just died, all rather quickly in a matter of hours. I wasn’t sure if she just had a reaction. No one else did.

Corid is very safe, so it's unlikely that it had anything to do with the death. The only way to know for sure what happened would be to have a necropsy done on that bird. There are a lot of things it could have been, and likely the Corid treatment was just coincidental. With no other information on that bird, we can't really even guess.

Corid is very safe, so it's unlikely that it had anything to do with the death. The only way to know for sure what happened would be to have a necropsy done on that bird. There are a lot of things it could have been, and likely the Corid treatment was just coincidental. With no other information on that bird, we can't really even guess.
Good to know!

Back
Top Bottom