1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood in the nest box, not just drops on the eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LadyHartman, Jan 21, 2010.

1. LadyHartman

LadyHartman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    Western Michigan
    I recently took in 8 ISA brown hens that are about 1 1/2 years old. Within the first couple days I found a large spurt of blood running down the inside of the nest box they use (vent level). Then no blood for several days and now I've had a second incident. I can't determine for sure which bird is doing it but I am pretty certain it's one of the new ones.

The rest of my flock seems perfectly fine, but the new birds have a history of picking and egg eating. (the day I got them they were covered in yolk). The picking and egg eating has stopped now. I think that was dietary.

My question is.....Any idea what could cause this much blood? And what can I do about it?

Thanks a ton!

2. Danceswithchicks

Danceswithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm... If you could determine what time each girl lays her egg, you can look at their vents to see if there is blood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by