Blood on Membrane, what does that mean???

BLaBauve

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Georgia
My broody currently has 4 eggs with pips... they started pipping this afternoon. I noticed that around the pips, where there is membrane - that it is tinted with what appears to be blood. It's not dripping out or anything just the white membrane is reddish. Is that normal? Will they still hatch? The humidity here is about 50% tonight.

Some blood is normal as not all of the blood is absorbed by the chick. If is starts gushing then you have a problem. I'd bet they will be ok. Good luck.

I read somewhere that if it's bloody, you better be SURE not to interfere with the hatch, because you can cause them a hemmorhage easier. Anyone know if that's correct? I don't have enough experience to answer that one.

I know if you are trying to help a chick out of the shell and you see blood -STOP - because they start to bleed. I don't plan on interfering at all, I'm letting Mom do everything. I just need to stop checking on her!

@ Naomi: Hemorraging (ie, ruptured blood vessels) to a deadly extent while helping an egg is unlikely. The reason people do not handle eggs that are actively bleeding (and stop working on them when they are helping) is to keep from nicking another vessel while peeling at shell and membrane. However, simply handling/holding the egg should not cause additional bleeding or vessel ruptures.

@BLaBauve: Some visible blood may be seen without too much cause for concern. Sometimes chicks will pip a little earlier than they are physically ready to, and there may still be some blood in the veins of the membrane. If a bird pips through a vessel, they will most likely bleed to some degree, but if you leave the egg alone it should be able to stop on its own. In fact, it should already be stopping by the time you see blood and like Sonja said, the only cause for concern is when it's clearly flowing out instead of seeping or just being present. Good luck with them!

Quote:
yippiechickie.gif
thumbsup.gif

Gosh I love the smilies on here...

E to fix the silly smilies

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom