Help Please šŸ„² External pip on day 18, 8 hours after she knocks some shell off, reveals a VERY yellow membrane- Help? šŸ„ŗ

Jojociita

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2023
Ok so this is like my 5th hatch and Iā€™ve tried a variety of different homemade incubators. This one has been most successful. Thus far, this little girl, who is an overly large egg, pipped at exactly 1 PM eastern,(itā€™s about 9pm now and I actually caught the pip on camera. Sheā€™s continued to make her pip larger in a general area but not begun to turn. sheā€™s also been VERY vocal and finally managed to knock off a giant piece of shell. Iā€™m attaching a picture, but when she knocked the piece off the top, I noticed that the membrane was very, VERY yellow. She keeps popping her beak out andā€¦ what looks like, eating pieces of the membrane? But she hasnā€™t begun to turn or zip.

She seems very lively, vocal and moving more (with her beak) than any other chic Iā€™ve ever hatched. However, sheā€™s not moved from that initial pip position and Iā€™m afraid her inner membrane is stuck. Like I noted, sheā€™s very vocal, but in my mind, sounding distressed.

What do I do? šŸ˜­ Am I to wrap her in a paper towel, moisten the membrane with some coconut oil or something of the sort, and just put her back, or do I just let her do her thing the? The pip hole is already so large that I donā€™t think Iā€™d need to remove any additional shell but I donā€™t know. Im fairly certain she pipped into her air cell and then out about 12 hour later.

The incubator is currently at 76% humidity but I did have issues keeping it under 60% during the incubation. It seems like she wants out NOW, and it seems like sheā€™s done with her pre-hatching processes. Aka; sheā€™s not opening and closing her mouth (showing that sheā€™s absorbing her yoke still), and her beak is all over the place eating at the membrane.

Iā€™m just at a loss and worried. I know the egg was too big to begin with and Iā€™m not sure why I tempted fate. I donā€™t know why I put it in there, but for some reason she was the first one to PIP (three days early at that) and I donā€™t want o lie her if I can help it. I donā€™t think she needs a full assist (Iā€™m well acquainted with the ā€œassisted hatchingā€ thread, and not eager to do a full assist wen I donā€™t think she needs it.

Please help! Iā€™m attaching pictures of her current state, the pip and the pip 4 hours later. I apologize that the images are overwhelmingly yellow but the lights tend to do that. I assure you that, in person, her membrane is in fact yellow.

Right now;
IMG_9292.jpeg

Initial pip at 1pm est;
IMG_9269.jpeg

Pip at 5pm EST;
IMG_9289.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi! You can moisten the membrane with coconut oil but I wouldn't assist yet. Takes 12 to 24 hours for a chicken egg to hatch. Tagging @Kiki for some expertise.
Thank you for your prompt response šŸ’› Iā€™m Definitely not assisting yet šŸ«£ way way too early, but I did NOT expect a full yellow membrane when she knocked that piece off. Iā€™m seeing if I can attach a Gif I made of her chaotic bopping about. (Edit, I canā€™t), but itā€™s fast, and frantic. Turns out, no coconut oil on hand. I have apricot oil (meant ffor skin and hair), grapeseed oil and avocado oil(for cooking), aquaphor (for tattoos? šŸ˜), and Bacitrin without any fancy additives. Not sure which is best. Iā€™m just worried her inner membrane has glued itself to her because of the humidity issues and she simply canā€™t move. But more humidity wouldnā€™t help a sticky or a ā€œwetā€ chick, would it? Oh lawd itā€™s always something. I just want to let her do her thing without my humidity issues during incubation spoiling her chances. šŸ’”

Last edited:
Iā€™m wondering, after frantic research, if the fact that she was already a HUGE egg, AND that I had trouble keeping humidity low in my (4th version) diy incubator, may have made her ā€œwetā€ or ā€œswollenā€?

I feel like the best course of action is to go ahead and gently moisten the exposed membrane and while sheā€™s still super active, research it and how else I can help (if I can or f itā€™s futile/do tend to). I wonā€™t intervene before 24 hours normally, but if sheā€™s ā€œswollenā€ whatever extra albumen in there will just become concrete if I wait another 12 hours as is dries out. However, if her outer membrane is dry but her inner membrane is.. gelatinous (?), ad I can confirm sheā€™s already absorbed her yolk and her veins, i guess Iā€™ll go in? And after she rests and warms, Iā€™ll give her a sticky chick gentle wash and an indirect hair dryer toast up. Me thinks she just a small chick in a giant egg from an older hen.

My coworker brings me eggs, I hatch them (out of sheer curiousness and obsession), spoil them for a week, and then they go back to him where he (continue to spoil them) brings them into a them in a wonderful Indoor environment until theyā€™re old enough to join the flock in their own coop!!

Last edited:
Yup. So I went to moisten her membrane and she was NOT having it. I didnā€™t Chico any shell or peel back any membrane, she just wanted out. She busted out like it was a jail break, partially absorbed yolk and veins n all. I think she put a toe thru her yolk because the paper towel had tinges of yellow. Either way I put her (in her bottom shll, upright in a cup) needless to say, she escaped within the hour and is no trying to fluff in the brooder. Other chicks arenā€™t Even due for another two days. Sheā€™s vocal, and narcoleptic (like most newborn chicks), and Al I can do is see if she makes it to tomorrow šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļøšŸ™šŸ«£
P.s. sheā€™s enormous

Attachments

• IMG_9301.jpeg
    IMG_9301.jpeg
    470.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9303.jpeg
    IMG_9303.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 40
  • ppsc47239cbf8b104429-20231230014100565.jpeg
    ppsc47239cbf8b104429-20231230014100565.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9314.jpeg
    IMG_9314.jpeg
    999.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9322.jpeg
    IMG_9322.jpeg
    721.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9326.jpeg
    IMG_9326.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 36
Yup. So I went to moisten her membrane and she was NOT having it. I didnā€™t Chico any shell or peel back any membrane, she just wanted out. She busted out like it was a jail break, partially absorbed yolk and veins n all. I think she put a toe thru her yolk because the paper towel had tinges of yellow. Either way I put her (in her bottom shll, upright in a cup) needless to say, she escaped within the hour and is no trying to fluff in the brooder. Other chicks arenā€™t Even due for another two days. Sheā€™s vocal, and narcoleptic (like most newborn chicks), and Al I can do is see if she makes it to tomorrow šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļøšŸ™šŸ«£
P.s. sheā€™s enormous
That is a BIG baby, so cute!

That is a BIG baby, so cute!
Sheā€™s HUGE. I thought itā€™d be a normal size chick in a giant egg (and that she wouldnā€™t be able to hatch at all) but shwew! Sheā€™s a big girl! I need to weigh her but in all the jailbreak chaos I forgot to. The other eggs are just beginning to wiggle (today is day 20), so Iā€™m glad I took her out. She would have scrambled everyone else. Iā€™m about to make her a little chick out of just white cotton fabric and she has a mirror for company. Learned how to eat and drink this moron though! Thank you BYC for letting me frantic rant! And ofc the always amazing advice and encouragement šŸ™šŸ£

She is huge, thatā€™s for sure! Well done for knowing so much and helping her! I hope the hungry girl or boy does well!

P.s. sheā€™s enormous
That is big for a chick! Next time maybe donā€™t hatch larger eggs? They are always the ones that need help with hatching.

Back
Top Bottom