Gosling assisted too early--didn't absorb yolk sac

Make sure you have humidity really high now to keep the yolk sac moist enough to absorb. Keep it close to 80%. Otherwise the yolk will dry out too much. I've had success with them re-absorbing several times, but it's a long tricky process.

There is a small chance that it will absorb on it's own.

Can you take a picture of what didn't get absorbed?
Here's a picture now. It's smaller than it was this morning. He won't stay in the cup!
I've also attached a picture of the paper towel he worked out of. I've put him back in a clean one.
Make sure you have humidity really high now to keep the yolk sac moist enough to absorb. Keep it close to 80%. Otherwise the yolk will dry out too much. I've had success with them re-absorbing several times, but it's a long tricky process.
I've put Vaseline type gel over it now as well.
Will humidity that high risk the other eggs in there? I have one that's just externally pipped this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20240409_092611.jpg
    IMG_20240409_092611.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240409_092618.jpg
    IMG_20240409_092618.jpg
    576.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20240409_092830.jpg
    IMG_20240409_092830.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 18
Thank you so much for the advice!

Here's a picture now. It's smaller than it was this morning. He won't stay in the cup!
I've also attached a picture of the paper towel he worked out of. I've put him back in a clean one.

I've put Vaseline type gel over it now as well.
Will humidity that high risk the other eggs in there? I have one that's just externally pipped this morning.
I'd do 75-80% then, you can let it be a touch lower. Geese do take a really long time to hatch so definitely resist the urge to help. You can take him out of the cup now, just make sure you put down paper towels or something in the incubator that's non-abrasive, so he doesn't rip his navel back open. I use grippy shelf liner but if you don't have any, paper towels work fine.

I'd do 75-80% then, you can let it be a touch lower. Geese do take a really long time to hatch so definitely resist the urge to help. You can take him out of the cup now, just make sure you put down paper towels or something in the incubator that's non-abrasive, so he doesn't rip his navel back open. I use grippy shelf liner but if you don't have any, paper towels work fine.
I've got it at 77% right now, but he is literally all over the place! Knocking into an the eggs, etc. I had him on a towel, but he's off it now. I'll have to open the incubator and move all the other eggs to put paper towels under the entire surface. How long should I leave him in there with his being so active?
Thank you soooooo much for your suggestions!

I've got it at 77% right now, but he is literally all over the place! Knocking into an the eggs, etc. I had him on a towel, but he's off it now. I'll have to open the incubator and move all the other eggs to put paper towels under the entire surface. How long should I leave him in there with his being so active?
Thank you soooooo much for your suggestions!
That's great that he's active! Are his eyes open?
If you have a brooder and heat lamp you can move him. I'd put down some soft towels with no loose strings down on the floor of the box for the first couple days though so he doesn't get anything in his navel while it's healing. Keep the box very clean.
Also make sure he has a warm end and a cooler end so he doesn't overheat. I'd probably also wait to put in food and water, premature babies take longer to start eating and drinking anyway and he'll just spill it probably at this point. You can offer small dishes of food and water tomorrow.
No problem! I'm glad he's doing better. I hope the other babies hatch with no issues too!

That's great that he's active! Are his eyes open?
If you have a brooder and heat lamp you can move him. I'd put down some soft towels with no loose strings down on the floor of the box for the first couple days though so he doesn't get anything in his navel while it's healing. Keep the box very clean.
Also make sure he has a warm end and a cooler end so he doesn't overheat. I'd probably also wait to put in food and water, premature babies take longer to start eating and drinking anyway and he'll just spill it probably at this point. You can offer small dishes of food and water tomorrow.
No problem! I'm glad he's doing better. I hope the other babies hatch with no issues too!
Oh, yes! His eyes were open when I first started assisting! I'll go ahead and move him to the brooder then.
@Jeri P
How is your little one doing today?
Thank you so much for asking!
He's still got a bit of the yolk sac exposed, but I'm keeping coconut oil on it. They're both very active, eating and drinking.
I'm cautiously optimistic! 🙏

Attachments

• IMG_20240410_114626.jpg
    IMG_20240410_114626.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom