Gosling assisted too early--didn't absorb yolk sac

Jeri P

Chirping
Apr 9, 2024
I was given a clutch of goose eggs that were left after the was killed by a coyote. I honestly didn't have any hope of them hatching. One internally pipped three days ago, but never externally pipped and has passed. Two others have internally pipped but not externally.
I poked safety holes yesterday, but one of them started sounding like it was in distress, so I assisted.
Internal pipping was on day 29. We're now on day 31.
Once I got the shell open enough to see (but too far), I could see the yolk sac had not been absorbed yet. I left her alone overnight. She was still not out of the shell totally this morning, but the membrane had dried terribly around her. I wet the membrane and SLOWLY stretched it away from her. She kicked the last two thirds of the shell off, but still has a bit of the yolk sac and a bulge from her abdomen.
I've wrapped her in a paper towel, placed her in a cup, and put her back in the incubator.
Does this gosling have a chance of absorbing and closing up, or is the humane thing to do euthanize? (Not sure I can bring myself to do so)
There is one other egg that has internally pipped (48 hours ago now) and is still active.
I'm just sick over this! I didn't expect them to even be viable, and now they're this close to survival and I may have killed her in my impatience!

UPDATE!
We have another gosling that just hatched! The original little guy from this post is very active, and I'm watching him closely. Prayers!

Last edited:
Make sure you have humidity really high now to keep the yolk sac moist enough to absorb. Keep it close to 80%. Otherwise the yolk will dry out too much. I've had success with them re-absorbing several times, but it's a long tricky process.

Make sure you have humidity really high now to keep the yolk sac moist enough to absorb. Keep it close to 80%. Otherwise the yolk will dry out too much. I've had success with them re-absorbing several times, but it's a long tricky process.
Thank you so much for the advice!

Attachments

• IMG_20240410_172209_382.jpg
    IMG_20240410_172209_382.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 23
There is a small chance that it will absorb on it's own.

Can you take a picture of what didn't get absorbed?

I could take a picture, but hate to take her back out of the towel and cup, plus open the incubator yet again since there's another egg that has internally pipped inside.
Do you think I should risk this?
It's fine to just leave it be. There isn't much that can be done but wait anyways.

Did you happen to have a salt tested humidity gauge in your bator? Too high humidity throughout is a cause of this.

Back
Top Bottom