Blood on shell of eggs

ChicksRFun

Chirping
13 Years
May 14, 2010
Hello. I have 3 barred Rocks that are a little over 1yr old and when I went out to collect eggs this afternoon, there was bright red blood all over the shells of the eggs (I think there were 3-4 eggs), some blood on the hay and nest box as well. I have read another person's post on her hen having blood on the shells of the eggs and the hen's vent, but I examined my hens and found nothing. Someone mentioned possible prolapse to her, but I didn't find anything out of the ordinary on my hens and non of them had blood on their feathers or feet. All 3 of them have been acting normal routine today. Does anyone have any info/advice they can share? I'm not sure if this is something that happens once in a while or if I should be worried. I'll try to post back tomorrow if it happens again or I find anything new. Thank you kindly.

That sounds like a scary thing to find. Sometimes it happens, although not normally so dramatically. I'd just keep an eye on them.

Good luck.

Thank you. Unfortunately I think it is a prolapsed vent
sad.png
After inspecting(again) the girls yesterday, my larger hen has some tissue exposed that looks kinda like the prolapsed vent pics. Not real bad and no blood. I was wondering, does anyone know if there is anything that can be done to prevent this from happening? I was reading on how to help the problem with pushing the tissue back into the vent.

ThankS!

Okay, so today when I checked on my hen, her vent looked totally normal. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on her. Maybe it wasn't a prolapse? Anyways, things are okay for now
smile.png

I was so grateful to find this post today. My barred rock had the same bright red blood on the shell of the egg and in her bedding. From what I could see her vent looked ok. Hope your hens are still doing ok.

Interesting. My Barred Rock is just over a year old, has been laying regularly since February, and recently got a bald patch under her vent on her bum, and the last two days has laid eggs with blood smears on them. She seems energetic and her appetite seems normal. We started letting them out of their run for a couple hours every evening after we noticed the bald patch, in case it was feather picking brought on by boredom (we didn't see any parasites on her skin or feathers). But the patch doesn't seem to be getting better, and now this blood smeared egg thing. Is it possible she's going into molt? I'm starting to worry that there is something really wrong with her.

Back
Top Bottom