Blood on the outside of eggshell...

chick818

Songster
Apr 22, 2009
Our chickens (4 mixed breeds) have been laying for just over a year, yet this is the first time we are seeing this. It has happened 2 X's in the last month. I checked around the vent and don't see anything. I searched and read some older posts which say that it is nothing to worry about and can be normal especially if the chickens are new layers. However, what if they are not new layers? Nothing in their diets or habbits has changed and they all seem to be acting normal. One small hen hasn't laid at all this year, but I know it's not her egg. Out of the other 3 hens, only one lays everyday. The other are not consistent, but this has been their normal way.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions in advance....

~ Tara

Is it any larger than normal?

Even if you can't rationalize it, i really wouldn't worry unless you see a LOT of blood. A little smudge shouldn't be a problem.

This time of year and at this age, a lot of them moult. And with the moult, the eggs get bigger. Maybe someone's transitioning?

Blood streaks are normal...you'll get 'em every once in a while....sometimes it'll seem like the whole eggs has been smeared....no worries though
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom