Blood on top of normal looking droppings

HeatherMarieR

Chirping
Feb 27, 2015
Somerville, AL
I have 3 chickens that I keep separated from the rest of the flock at night. The last few days there have been dropping that look perfectly normal except for they're covered in blood. I'm treating them for Coccidiosis just in case, but they all act fine, and they don't have diarrhea. One of the droppings appears to have some intestinal shedding in it. Could that possibly cause the bleeding?

That sure looks to be quite a bit of blood--are you sure that it is from droppings and no one has an injury such as a comb or blood feather bleeding? How old are they? How do their vents look? My guess is (if it's not cocci) that there could be something internally such as cancer or a vent injury, or capillary worms. I would spend some time with them to try to figure out the problem. I'm not sure that this helps, but I hope you can stop it.

That sure looks to be quite a bit of blood--are you sure that it is from droppings and no one has an injury such as a comb or blood feather bleeding? How old are they? How do their vents look? My guess is (if it's not cocci) that there could be something internally such as cancer or a vent injury, or capillary worms. I would spend some time with them to try to figure out the problem. I'm not sure that this helps, but I hope you can stop it.

The oldest is about 10 months old and the other two are 4 months. Everything looks fine, but I'll double check again. I leaning towards thinking that it's coming from the oldest one.

There is just a little of the internal tissue showing which can be normal in some birds. Just keep an eye on it. Cocci can be common in younger chickens. Yours should be starting to develop resistance to it, but I would definitely use the Corid.

Back
Top Bottom