Blood rings upon arrival

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by schmmems, Aug 6, 2011.

1. schmmems

schmmems Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2009
    Central Florida
    I just got some eggs in the mail. As I was placing them into the incubator, I candled to see how bad the aic sacs were. To my surprise, two of the eggs had blood rings! They had only been shipped three days before, but when I cracked open the eggs, there were definate blood rings along with what appeared to a 3 to 4 day old embryos. How can this happen? Could this be because of the heat during shipment? Why did only 2 of the 15 have it?

2. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    I Would like to know this to, for future Reverence.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Unfortunately if temps were prime during shipping yes, they can start to incubate:( if they did start it might have gotten too hot and killed the embryos:(... Or the person who you got eggs from was a day late or two from collection and pulled eggs that were already started from their house and shipped them. It can and has happened if eggs aren't collected everyday if not twice a day. There was a story on here about a lady getting eggs-put them in bator and 2-3 days later a chick hatched out! The person send a well advanced incubated egg and it kept right on cooking during Summer shipping! Healthy normal baby came out!!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Let the shipper know, they may or may not realize there's a glitch in their system!

They may have grabbed a couple eggs, not realizing that a hen had been brooding them? If that's the case, it's sloppy work. Maybe they'll give you a partial refund or a discount on any future shipment?

5. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    Quote:woah.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by