Blood splatters all over the coop - What can it be?

weaveagarden

Songster
10 Years
Jul 4, 2009
Hoquiam, Wa
When I went to let the chickens out into the freezing cold this AM, I say small droplets of blood on the sides of the coop and on tops of surfaces. Also saw some on the back of my white hen. I doesn't really have the appearance of blood flow, more splatter.

Everyone seems normal, but they are really cold, so it is hard to tell. This was also the first night that I had their coop closed up tight. Previously they had been able to come and go into their small run. During the day they range in my yard. Because of the cold and noise of the rooster, I have decided to close them in the insulated coop. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem but want to give all the facts.

Does this sound like any illness that you have experienced?

Given that they're not usually locked up, I might say someone got into an little argument. Check everyone for even the smallest cuts. I noticed last winter one of my hens had some blood on her beak and then I realized she had pecked the earlobe off of one of the other hens. It took me 2 hours to notice this so look carefully! It could be that they aren't used to being inside and there was an argument. You say you have a rooster? Have you checked for mating sores/cuts under the feathers?

I agree. Check everyone's combs and wattles. I had a hen with a small cut on her comb and she bled like a stuck pig. Only not dripping, splattered everywhere. She was shaking her head and blood was going all over everything. Hope you find the source.

How many chickens do you keep in your coop and how big is it? If the coop is too small they could be fighting for the best roosting spot. My chickens ran out of food yesterday and they pecked one of my chickens comb and I saw blood splatter as you described. I gave them more food and seperated the injured hen to docter her up and then put her back in the coop when it was dark. That's the last time I wait til afternoon to do the feeding. We are moving so I was busy packing.
sad.png

Because of the cold, the time I spend with the chickens is more often, but in smaller lengths of time right now. In that time, nobody seems to be sneazing or coughing. I did notice a squeak, now that I think of it as I was changing their water to some not frozen outside the coop. It was a sound I hadn't heard before.

When I just went out to look, one of the 12 girls wasn't in the yard. I assume she is in the coop laying, or getting warm. But I will go check.

Another thing that happened yesterday is that I found an EE egg that was broken. Pullet egg very narrow. Looks like it broke during laying. The missing girl is an EE. Maybe I better check her vent for blood too.

The coop is 4X7. 13 total living in it. I am expanding to 7X8, but insulating the existing coop became the financial priority with our unusual cold snap here.

Great ideas. I am going to finish this hot eggnog I just poured and bundle up to go and check everyone out. I will post again in a little bit.

Well, I checked Angela out for injuries. I can't find any blood on her at all. Of all of the girls, she is acting the least frisky. She wasn't really active yesterday either. I also gave a visual once over to the other girls and still don't see anything on anybody, except those splatters on Willows back. So, I am left with questions:

Was she less active yesterday and today because she is sick?
Is she more susceptible to the cold and so has been less active?

I guess at this point I just need to observe until I can figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom