Blood splatter in coop, nesting boxes, all over the waterer and feeder!

findthejoys

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2022
I can't figure it where it's coming from! I have one hen that is molting. Otherwise, I have 8 seemingly healthy hens, but every time I go out to the coop/run there is blood splattered! Today two hens have blood on their backs, but it doesn't look like it came from them.

What do I do?!

What do I do?!
Finding blood splatters in a coop once with an obvious cause isn't of much concern usually.
Finding blood splatters "every time you go to the coop/run" is concerning and you need to carefully inspect each hen to find the cause.
If you have difficulty handling your hens then get a head torch and take them off the roost at night and inspect them. Scabs on wattles, earlobes and combs should be fairly evident. Foot and body injuries have to be looked for.

How many birds and how many square feet do they have inside the coop? In cold winter weather being cooped up and not getting outside as much, they can get a bit pecky and grumpy. It might be that you have too many in too small a space, or they need to get outside more. Having some things to climb on and explore might help. I have had a couple of wyandottes in the past who were meanies, and my friend was very happy to take them off my hands.

Usually when I have found blood spatters, I usually cannot find the one bleeding. It is always good to look them over for a comb injury or a blood feather. One of the respiratory diseases ILT, can cause blood and mucus splatters to be slung around the coop. But blood from a peck is very common.

Back
Top Bottom