Bloody Back...What to do?! HELP!

catmf6

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Ok so my Aracauna pullet (Taylor) was picked by the other chickens in her back and it was bleeding so I put her in a seperate enclosure. I put some Neosporin on it but other than that I don't know what to do! I also have been putting antiobiotics in her water. All my chickens are pets and they really mean alot to me so any help would greatly be appreciated!
Thanks again,
Cat

You did the important first things, now answer the questions at the beginning of this section and we will see if we can help you any more.

Sounds like you got it covered. Good luck on a fast recovery!
frow.gif

Thank y'all so much!
So is there anything else I can do for the time being?

The question is, why did it happen.

When you isolated the victim, you made someone else the bottom of the pecking order, so it may happen to that one next.

Well she was at the bottom of the pecking order.
And that's what I'm worried about now:(

I would get some blue-kote product and spray her back and then put her back in with her flock. Keeping her out longer is going to create more social issues, and that's not what you want. Blue-kote products protect the wound (antiseptic) and camouflage the bloody areas and make a bad taste for the chickenswho might try to peck again. They also stain your hands, so be careful of that.

A couple of things you can look at for possible improvement of this situation:

how much space do they have? if they get crowded, they sometimes get bored and start picking on someone.

if they're still young and under a light, they might be too hot; this often helps the pecking situation.

can you arrange some hiding places in their enclosure?

can you give them more time outside running around to run off some of that energy?

These are just some thoughts.

I got mine at the feed store. The one i got is called "wound-kote," and i think there's a product called "rooster booster" that is basically the same thing. It also usually comes in a spray form or dabbing form. I really like the spray because that makes it so easy to apply, especially if your chicken doesn't want to cooperate with the process.

Back
Top Bottom