Bloody Chicken EMERGENCY

LY

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 2, 2009
Edgewood
Went out this morning to find a bloody - dis-feathered chicken. I've removed her from the flock given her water and food and shavings to sit in. I plan on rinsing her with peroxide and maybe Neo-sporen. She's pretty beat up - no tail feathers and flesh showing. I think some predator tried to get her and she made it home. Any other advice? Please help....

If she is really a mess then you might consider giving her a warm bath > put her in tub or basin with warm water (couple drops of dishwashing soap and a wee bit of salt) swish her around in it and look carefully for any puncture wounds (which will need to be flushed well with sterile saline > apply neosporin or betadine creme in the wound after) or lacerations ... such small wounds are easy to miss if you do nott give a bath... do not keep the bird emmersed in the water for very long and dry after and keep well away from any drafts.

Keep her in quiet safe comfortable warm place. Electrolytes in water for stress (a drop or two of Rescue Remedy in her water can be used to additionally help with stress). Making sure she doesn't succumb to shock is crucial.

Original formula Neosporin (without pain relief ingredient) for topical wounds. If you find or suspect puncture wounds she'll likely need oral or injectible antibiotic. As Diana noted, the sterile saline solution. With betadine wash, a vet told me 9 parts water to 1 part betadine

Keep her hydrated. If she won't drink on her own, try enticing her with anything she will take that offers moisture - fresh fruit like watermelon - you can drizzle a bit of Pedialyte on it in a pinch (if you don't have poultry electrolytes. Interesting foods may also raise her spirits.

If/when you feel she is not bleeding externally or internally, you could try giving her aspirin water for pain for a couple/few days if she's hurting and not eating or drinking to speak of (which could be from being in pain). Approx. 1 baby aspirin (no substitutes unless sure okay for chickens) crushed into one cup water. Change at least daily. If she is not drinking willingly you can dunk some food she likes - perhaps cut up grapes - in the aspirin water and then feed them to her - she'll get a bit of the aspirin water that way.

Hoping she will be okay.
fl.gif

JJ

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with Betadine or peroxide when used correctly. Betadine in particular needs to be diluted; the 9:1 would be good. Both should be rinsed from the wound with saline after use. They both are disinfectants. Both also kill new, healing tissue. In addition, Betadine has iodine, which can cause poisoning in overdose, and the iodine is absorbed by wounds. Thus, they should generally not be used after the first cleaning; saline is better if more cleaning is needed, unless there is necrotic tissue present. Dilute peroxide is a good approach for home cleaning of necrotic wounds (which of course really should be under a vet's care.)

Very much agree with dlhunicorn on the bath, by far the best way to get dirt and germs off, and to assess. I'd probably put a tsp or so of Betadine in the water rather than dish soap, if I had it, but either is fine.

Back
Top Bottom