Bloody comb

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
Got home at dusk and went to lock coop. When I looked in the run, there was blood smeared on the side of the chicken feeder. I went into the coop to see who was hurt, and one of my chickens was up on the roost with a bloody comb which looked somewhat dried up but still a little wet. I cleaned her up and put some cornstarch on it, and brought my broody cage in with a roost for her, and put her inside. How common is this? What could have caused it? Anything I should do once it’s light out tomorrow?

Pic of my poor girl:
1705099895421.jpeg

That looks like something a rooster did, which is common. It also could have been caused by another hen or she could have got her comb caught on something like fencing. Typically for a comb injury, I don't separate, as they are so common. Try to clean her up as much as possible and if you have Blu-kote, spray it on any feathers that is still bloody. If you separate her on this for more than three days, it'll mess up her pecking order which can result in further or worst injury.

Thank you. I don’t have a rooster, and she is semi-high on the pecking order. I’ll check her in the morning and let her out w the flock. She is in the coop with them, just in the broody cage.

Back
Top Bottom