Bloody diarrhea, foamy poo, huddling

Caseyrae

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2023
I posted last week about my two Easter eggers that had pasty but, I thought the poos were decal droppings and would clear up. I’ve been seeing darker diarrhea in the brooder and I cannot figure out which chicks it is coming from. My chicks have been on a medicated starter since I brought them home but I’m wondering if the two Easter eggers may have had coccidiosis all along. I’ve made the adjustments recommended on my previous post, turning off the heat lamp because the garage is likely too hot, letting the chicks forage outside to expose them and build their immunity, but I’m worried that this seems to be spreading. Every day I have to scrub the feeder and watered because there is dark runny poo all over them, it seems like one or some of the chicks are flying to the top of the containers and pooing all over them. Tonight I found them all huddled together even though the garage was plenty warm only my older birds were perching to sleep. I’ve looked up signs and treatment but I can only find corid for calves and bovines. Is this the same treatment for chickens? I’ve tried reading through other posts but feel more confused now having read about something called cocci that is different from coccidiosis and also very contagious. I’d like to treat this on my own as I’m not sure which birds are sick and do not wish to take 12 chicks to a vet. Can anyone help provide some guidance?

12 chicks
3 orpingtons 2 blue Plymouth rocks 4 weeks old
2 black australorps 1 silky 3.5 weeks old
4 Easter eggers 2.5 weeks old

Medicated purina start and grow feed
Pine shavings for bedding
Container with self filling water cups for water
Alternate days with plain water and water with electrolytes and probiotics

Brooder is a Great Dane dog crate in the garage, during the day they are kept in a 10x10 dog kennel.

I’d appreciate any help. I want to get my birds healthy but also do not want to risk my kids or dogs getting sick. we haven’t finished building a coop yet and I’m beginning to worry that this has been a failed exercise. It’s been incredibly hot and humid this summer. Is it likely I can get and keep my flock healthy after this?

IMG_5245.jpeg

Can you post a close up photo of the droppings in question? I don't see anything abnormal in the photo above. Are you seeing any actual blood, or just the dark droppings?

Here is a thread that has a link to a chart of normal droppings vs not normal ones.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bloody-chicken-poop-diahhrea-poop-chart.761587/

Is everyone's energy level okay? Anyone look lethargic or fluffed up?
pooing all over
Yes, they will do that. I usually clean mine once a week. If you do have coccidiosis issues you would want to clean it more frequently, but your brooder was looking pretty good IMO, and it sounds like they might be fine in the cocci department
all huddled together even though the garage was plenty warm only my older birds were perching to sleep
This is normal, too, just something that younger chickens will commonly do. I think it is more instinctual than for warmth.
corid for calves and bovines
Yes, this is commonly used, but don't follow the dosage direction on the side. This thread lists dosage for poultry.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing.818879/

I would keep some corid on hand (which maybe you have done), but if you are not seeing bloody poop, like in the poop chart below, and everyone seems fine, I think that what you are seeing may just be normal. Let me know what you think after you look at the chart, or you can post your droppings photos and get some other opinions.

cocci that is different from coccidiosis and also very contagious
So, they are basically the same thing. Cocci is used sometimes as an abbreviation, or it refers to the organisms that cause coccidiosis.
Alternate days with plain water and water with electrolytes and probiotics
I have heard it is best to have two waters, one plain and one with electrolytes so they can decide. You can also just give them electrolytes if it is especially hot out. They are old enough that they don't need it on a regular basis. Electrolytes can cause you to see some diarrhea.
risk my kids or dogs getting sick
I can't think of a disease that humans or dogs can get that chickens have. Oh wait, salmonella, but I have never heard of a backyard flock having that. I think that is more in the poultry industry that you see that. Every other parasite or disease I can think of is species specific.

I’m beginning to worry that this has been a failed exercise
I think you are okay. We have a lot of folks that live in super hot places on here, so it can be easily done. Are you in the US? And which state? I can connect you with folks who live in a similar climate, and send some articles your way about keeping poultry in hot weather. The key in that situation is having as much ventilation as possible.

Gosh, that turned into a novel 😅 , but I hope it answered your concerns. Let me know if you can think of anything else.

Back
Top Bottom