Bloody egg and soft eggs

My2butterflies

Crowing
Apr 14, 2020
Minnesota
The last couple days I’ve found some soft eggs. Not sure who has been laying them. Could be anyone since my girls are all new layers. (Hatched around April 1st)
Today I went out to find a soft egg broke open with yoke everywhere🤦‍♀️ And my daughters California white chicken laid her first(solid) egg! 😁 But.... it’s covered in blood!
What would cause there to be so much blood? Is this a sign of a bigger internal problem?
I took pictures hoping it might help.
soft egg that was on the ground.
BEEB36F9-A637-4749-8CB4-89461ACEB53E.jpeg

Bloody egg
8C90B0B5-7AD2-4991-A340-2F6C7596D746.jpeg

Bloody vent😔
E1632815-87F3-4569-BDAF-3F6C07F3B41F.jpeg

Soft shells happen with new layers. Make sure they're getting enough calcium. The bloody egg COULD be normal but it shouldnt happen often. I've never seen one with that much blood though. I would watch her. If the next one is that bloody then I would maybe worry.

Soft shells happen with new layers. Make sure they're getting enough calcium. The bloody egg COULD be normal but it shouldnt happen often. I've never seen one with that much blood though. I would watch her. If the next one is that bloody then I would maybe worry.
They do have calcium available and are on layer crumble.
The blood was really excessive I thought.
I was just out in the coop and she laid an egg, the first one since the bloody egg. No blood this time!
29F0EEE0-DA41-4F3A-93FF-4BE38941C08A.jpeg

I hope it was just a fluke last time.

They do have calcium available and are on layer crumble.
The blood was really excessive I thought.
I was just out in the coop and she laid an egg, the first one since the bloody egg. No blood this time! View attachment 2301456
I hope it was just a fluke last time.
New layers will sometimes have some blood the first time they lay. That's good that there wasnt any on this one.

Also, I'm not sure if it's the same for chickens but if its red blood is usually not dangerous. Any internal bleeding problems would be much darker, almost black.

New layers will sometimes have some blood the first time they lay. That's good that there wasnt any on this one.

Also, I'm not sure if it's the same for chickens but if its red blood is usually not dangerous. Any internal bleeding problems would be much darker, almost black.
New layer glitches.
Don't panic or jump to terrible conclusions unless it happens frequently.
Thank you both. That puts my mind more at ease. I’ll continue to watch her and be sure this isn’t a reoccurring problem.

Back
Top Bottom