Bloody Egg & Gooped up vent - 1 year old hen

psubren9

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
I went out to gather eggs today and found one with a LOT of blood smear on it. I check the hens and one has a vent that looks pretty nasty. This is the first I've noticed it but we were low on eggs the past few days, so I don't know if she layed any the past few days prior to this one.

I tried to take some photos of the vent, but I don't know how helpful they'll be. There was a green colored protrusion from her vent and she was pretty crusted up.

Anyone have any ideas what this might be and how I should handle it? Please help! I'm not even sure if I should leave her in with the other hens :/

Oh dear! I would not leave her with the other hens, and if you havent cleaned her off already, i would soak her bum and see if there is anything under that mass of yuck.

Well, I brought her in and cleaned her up a bit and this is what it looks like now.

I don't know if that's better or worse than it looked at first, but at least it's clearer.

Somebody please help! She doesn't seem to be in any pain (except when we sprayed her rear, which she didn't much care for). I'm going to put her in the isolation crate tonight and hopefully, by morning, I'll have more info.

Thanks!

I would start her on antibiotics. You might smear some preparation H all around it and up in the vent, if you can get your finger up there. Someone here also said that honey would work too.
Keep her separated for awhile. I wouldn't force it if its hard.
Be sure she has water. I wouldn't feed her anything for a day. You don't want her using that area much.
When you do start feeding her, make it very soft stuff......like cooked oatmeal with lots of olive oil in it.
Poor chicken! I wonder if the other chickens were pecking at it, after it was prolapsed. It almost looks like there's a huge blood blister-type thing there. Keep us posted.

Looks like it could be VENT GLEET. If it is Vent Gleet, THEN antibiotics is the worst thing you could do. Vent Gleet is caused by an yeast infection & antibiotics will kill the good bacteria.

I get "Ketoconazole" from my Vet (200 mg tablets which I split in 1/4). Give the 1/4 once a day for 7 days. Clean the vent each day like you have done. Put Monistat cream on the vent after cleaning and get some Provodone Iodine, put in spray bottle and spray vent and area too. Feed yogurt.

Clean well, getting off those scabs. It will bleed; isolate your hen. Vent Gleet is not really contagious in the sense of a disease.

You can go ahead and start the Iodine spray & Monistat cream now and get the Ketoconazole from your Vet tomorrow. My Vet just sells them to me without me having to take the bird there. You can search here about Vent Gleet-- other pictures will look like yours-- Vent Gleet will have a nasty odor too.

I use the "Monistat 7" which is "Miconazole Nitrate Cream (2%) Vaginal Antifungal" -- you can get it along with the Provodone Iodine at any drug store.

Never use an antibiotic unless you know WHAT you are dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom