1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloody egg shell (pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Andi, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry to hear you guys are having problems. At the time it was a scary feeling for me, as I'm sure it is for you guys.

The oil/grease source isn't all that fussy. My girls enjoyed bacon grease, hamburger grease, fat trimmings from any animal, veggie oil (which I started out drizzling on their food before trying other stuff and then just used when I didn't have the other sources available), suet (from the meat counter or bird products), black oil sunflower seeds (with and without the shells) and I'm sure there's other things that aren't popping into my head at the time. It actually got kinda fun seeing what they would like - which was just about everything. The girls loved feeding time so much that I had them occasionally knocking the food dishes out of my hands in their excitement. You guys are going to have fun with what started out as a scary situation.

I was fortunate to not loose any of my girls from this. It did happen to a much lesser degree from time to time after that, but I think the brunt of it was from them being newer to laying tied to weather and diet.

Things will work out fine. Best of luck to you guys! Hug your chickens and let them eat some bacon grease from a spoon you're holding for me.

2. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry for the double post, but I thought of something as soon as I clicked the button.

The increased fat in the diet is just for the cold weather season. When the weather warms up you don't want them to be get as much fat in their diet or it will slow down production.

3. kforington

kforington New Egg

Feb 3, 2011
    I have a hen who has been laying bloody eggs also. As I checked her vent, it looks like she has a hemmroid. Is that what it is and what do I do to fix it? I'm so afraid she is in pain. I have separated her from the rest of the flock as they are trying to peck at her. It is also very, very cold here in Colorado. Low single digits to below zero. Is this affecting her maybe? Thank you!!!

4. gotweim

gotweim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Romeo, MI
    Quote:One of my Rhode Islands just had a little hemmroid as well! You can actually push it back in. Also put some Preperation H on it. I would warm it up a little bit so it went on easier. I kept her seperated as well so the other's didn't peck at her and didn't put her back until it was completely healed up. I also kept the room she was in pretty dark and only fed her enough for her to live on so she didn't lay an egg and push it back out.

5. kforington

kforington New Egg

Feb 3, 2011
    Thank you so much for the info. It has been terribly cold so I'm sure that is what is doing it. My husband is picking up the Prep H and I will do as you suggested.

6. gotweim

Jan 25, 2011
    Romeo, MI
    No problem!! Keep me posted on how she does! [​IMG]

7. brwneggs

brwneggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I bought "Morning Song-year round suet" that contains beef suet, black oil sunflower and white nillet in 10 pkg boxes. I bought a heavy steel dog dish at Menards this summer. Took two cakes, cut them cut really good with a spoon, and took it out this morning. The girls "loved" it which made me so happy. I have been afriad to go and find one of my girls has passed. Tonight when I went out to close their coop doors, I found an egg. It had a very very lite smear of blood on it, and it had grease on it. It made me happy [​IMG] !!!
    NOW...the next big question I have it how often should I feed them this suet?

Please can someone tell me. I just want to make sure my Isa Brown girls get the right stuff. I feel so sorry for other beautiful birds who have perished this winter.

What makes their cutes so dry dry in the winter? Is it like our hands and lips where they get dry and chapped?

********I bought the suet at Walmart *************

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  8. gotweim

Jan 25, 2011
    Romeo, MI
    I was wondering the same thing, how often?

I was going to head up to TSC and grab a few cakes for my girls. I was also going to get the hanger for it and hang it from the hook in their coop. Did your girls eat it all up at once?

9. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

I give mine a handfull of BOSS (black oiled sunflower seed) daily.....everyonce in a while i might get a light smear but that's it [​IMG]

10. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I give mine scrambled yuck eggs once a week (any egg that gets dirt or poo on the shell lol) and I cook them in a generous splat of oil. I haven't had a problem yet. Except new layers....the first 1 or 2 eggs usually have a tiny smear of blood but that's about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by