Bloody hen

LMVB

Songster
5 Years
Feb 23, 2016
One of my hens has a bloody wound near her wing. The roo has been hard on her and I suspect he inflicted it. I will capture her tonight and tend to it, but what's the best way of doing that? Hydrogen peroxide? I don't want the other hens pecking her. Should I separate her for a few days? Thanks for your sage wisdom!

One of my hens has a bloody wound near her wing. The roo has been hard on her and I suspect he inflicted it. I will capture her tonight and tend to it, but what's the best way of doing that? Hydrogen peroxide? I don't want the other hens pecking her. Should I separate her for a few days? Thanks for your sage wisdom!
You can clean it with just soap and water, sometimes peroxide can kill the healthy skin. If you can get some poultry wound spray from tractor supply that will help as well! I would put some plain neosporin on it and definitely keep her away from the others until it isn't an open wound anymore. I don't recommend using blukote or any of those colored sprays because because you can't see how the wound is healing, just a personal preference🤷‍♀️ I'm no expert but this is what we have done with our wounded chickens!😊

You can clean it with just soap and water, sometimes peroxide can kill the healthy skin. If you can get some poultry wound spray from tractor supply that will help as well! I would put some plain neosporin on it and definitely keep her away from the others until it isn't an open wound anymore. I don't recommend using blukote or any of those colored sprays because because you can't see how the wound is healing, just a personal preference🤷‍♀️ I'm no expert but this is what we have done with our wounded chickens!😊
After looking closely at her, the wounds are on both wings, where they connect to the bone. I cleaned it up as best as possible. I will keep her separated for a week then put a hen saddle on her to detour him (hopefully) from hurting her again. Almost all of her neck feathers have been pulled out, poor baby. He's a good boy, just a rough lover!

After looking closely at her, the wounds are on both wings, where they connect to the bone. I cleaned it up as best as possible. I will keep her separated for a week then put a hen saddle on her to detour him (hopefully) from hurting her again. Almost all of her neck feathers have been pulled out, poor baby. He's a good boy, just a rough lover!
Sounds like she's in good hands! I used no-peck on ours to detour pecking. It's nasty smelling stuff but it works! It also helps heal😊 maybe the smell will make him less attracted to her.

Back
Top Bottom