Bloody poop under the roosting bar... How concerned should I be??

Pippin quail

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Central Alberta, Edmonton area
Hi there, I don't have much info here. Not even sure of which chicken or chickens are having the issue. But the last two mornings I have found what I think is bloody poop under the roosting bar. It looks like it was really runny and there was either more than one chicken who had it, or that chicken moved to a new spot. It seems like a lot of it (but it's hard to tell in the shavings) and I'm worried. Everyone seems healthy and active so I have no idea which chicken it is from, but wondering what might cause it?? Could it be something they ate? A fight? I'm at a loss here, any ideas appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20210913_083712.jpg
    IMG_20210913_083712.jpg
    834.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210913_083657.jpg
    IMG_20210913_083657.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 8
I found my sick chicken.. she was just sleeping alone and when I came and started talking to her she barely noticed. Didn't care when I touched her, other chickens were walking around her or anything. Even when I picked her up to put her in the garage she didn't make a peep. I hope she's the only one who is actually sick. I didn't notice any bloody poops in the coop after I isolated her last night. And she seems a little more interested in food and water after her night in the garage infirmary... Hopefully she'll make a full recovery.

Attachments

• IMG_20210914_192230.jpg
    IMG_20210914_192230.jpg
    763 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210914_184558.jpg
    IMG_20210914_184558.jpg
    901.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210914_185526.jpg
    IMG_20210914_185526.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Here is a quote with information on how to dose with corid:
It won't hurt to treat for coccidiosis. It's a problem in spring if there's been moisture and above freezing. The population may be heavy. I would treat the entire flock, and give the sick hen a Corid drench for the next three days along with the Corid water.

Get liquid Corid from your feed store. Mix two teaspoons into one gallon of water and give it to the flock each day for five days as their only water source.

The drench will be just for the sick hen. Give .1ml per pound of body weight undiluted directly into the beak once a day for three days along with the Corid water. Mix the Corid water fresh each day. After five days, stop the Corid, wait a week, and do it again for five more days. No need for the drench this time.

Meanwhile, check the crop of this hen in the morning to see how well her crop is emptying. If it's full after not eating all night, she may have a crop disorder that may need treatment.
One other question, do your chickens free range or have they had access to any purple berries? It is hard to tell from the photo, but it looks more purple than red. Mine have been snacking on Beautyberry and Viburnum berries lately, so their poop often stains the shavings purple. It might be easier to tell the difference if you can look at their poop when it is fresher.

Here is a quote with information on how to dose with corid:

One other question, do your chickens free range or have they had access to any purple berries? It is hard to tell from the photo, but it looks more purple than red. Mine have been snacking on Beautyberry and Viburnum berries lately, so their poop often stains the shavings purple. It might be easier to tell the difference if you can look at their poop when it is fresher.
They haven't been eating any berries, none of those around here. I did think it could be from beet tops one day. But they weren't actually eating the beet so I doubt whether that would be the cause.
I did do a big no no and added hens to my flock without a quarantine. 😬😬 So I'm fairly sure it's the new ones or they brought it with them. A couple of them also brought scaly leg mites. So really this is just another warning for anyone out there like myself, who thinks just because my flock is healthy and the people selling the chickens say their flock is healthy, doesn't mean it is. Unfortunately there's no going back, but definitely a lesson learned. 🤦‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom