Bloody Poop

Chicken-Man

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 8, 2014
your head.... ~(*.*)~
So, I just got 2 new frizzle chicks (2 weeks old) and woke up to see a little blood in the poo, I'm not sure who did the poo so I have separated the two birds to see if it happens again. Both birds show so signs of sickness that I can see, I have seen both drink and eat. Just want to know if I should be worried and if it happens again, do I take I back to the
\i'm not overly worried, just want to be sure Thanks :))

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Blood in the poop generally means coccidiosis. Sometimes birds can shed the intestinal lining with blood, however that should be occasional. So if you are seeing a lot of blood, a bird that is lethargic, not interested in food or water, fluffed up and standing or sitting with eyes closed, they probably have cocci. Go to the feed store and get some Corid, (amprolium). This is used for 5 days, and do not add anything else to this water. Follow the instructions on the bottle for mixing with water. Change and make a new batch daily.

You should also post this in our emergency section for more input on this as well. Peep Chicken has left you with the link. Good luck and I hope you can get your flock back to good health soon.

welcome-byc.gif
Oh my! That doesn't sound too good, just like TwoCrows said, they might have coccidiosis or cocci. I had this happen to my rooster, The Hulk. Best of luck!
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

x3 maybe cocci.

This can be a fatal disease and is most often diagnosed in young chicks. Coccidiosis (also known as cocci) is caused by tiny creatures called coccidia, a kind of protozoa. They grow rapidly and spread fast. This germ spreading disease is very common. Protozoa live everywhere including inside chickens. However, in the case of coccidiosis the protozoa become to countless and make the chicks sick. There is not many ways to treat this. But, there are many ways to prevent it. To prevent this in adult chickens don’t allow water to collect in their living quarters. Clean their waterers and feeders often and provide daily and good management. Sadly, some chickens don’t live through coccidiosis because by the time it’s noticed, it’s too late. (Symptoms include: Weakness, lifelessness, pale combs and wattles, bloody droppings, not eating and sudden death.) The good news is if you know your flock and observe them daily, you can catch this early. Plus, if your bird lives through it, she won’t catch it again. The best treatments are amprolium and sulfa drugs and chorid 9.6% solution in the water.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Coccidiosis is a definite possibility. To be safe, I would probably get some Corid and start treating your chicks with it.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

You've received some good advice already. I hope your birds are alright!

Back
Top Bottom