Bloody poops

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jody, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Jody

Jody Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    Yesterday one of my chickens left a large bloody splash on the ramp. I assumed it to be intestinal shedding..

Today we discovered a liquidy runny green and white poop with blood in it.

There's no nasal or eye discharge and everything else looks normal externally.

They get DE mixed with their feed, but last time I gave them any was a little over a week ago.

I picked up some durvet sulfadimethoxine thinking to treat for coccidia, but my chickens have been on my dirt since Nov 2009 and the inflicted chicken is somewhere between 2 and half to 3yrs old and package says do not give to chickens over 16wks of age. Last chickens introduced to flock were back in April.

Any suggestions or what I need to do?

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    green liquidy poop is from lots of fruits, and/or lots of grasses.

If there's only one bloody poop, it probably was intestinal lining. Look out for more than one, then theres a problem.

3. Jody

Jody Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    Yes, it is more than one. The large bloody mess on the ramp, the poop mentioned above and now one splat of blood with no poop we just discovered, just all liquid and dried up blood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by