bloody rectum

bwolfe

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
My week old baby chick had poo stuck to is but earlier today so I soaked it off in warm water and I been checking it often, she acts just fine but I just discovered she has a small amount of blood around her rectum. what is this and what should I do?

Most likely it is coccidiosis. You should immediately begin all of your chicks on Corid. Just do a search here on for "Corid Dosage". You should also change the shavings several times a day until it goes away.

I would not wait any days. Once coccidiosis starts with bloody poop (or blood around the vent), it is already pretty serious. At the very least you can do the mild dosage of Corid for a few days. If it disappears, then continue on with the normal dosage.

It does not matter if the chicks have never touched the ground. You can carry the pathogen into the brooder area. If you need further information, you can call your state vet. They should be able to either test for coccidiosis for you or recommend someone that can.

Also, do not give any supplements or vitamins during Corid treatment. Corid is a thiamine uptake inhibitor which means that it blocks the pathogen from getting the thiamin and it dies. Many supplements contain thiamin in them.

Also be aware that some breeds are sensitive to Corid, although this is just word of mouth as no real scientific study has been done. If it were me, I would not take the risk. Coccidiosis is preventable and easy to treat.

Last edited:
My week old baby chick had poo stuck to is but earlier today so I soaked it off in warm water and I been checking it often, she acts just fine but I just discovered she has a small amount of blood around her rectum. what is this and what should I do?
Most 1 week old chicks don't get coccidiosis that young especially if they are in a clean brooder, and not on the ground. I would watch this chicks poops for the next 24 hours. It could be from the caked-on poo, or perhaps she got pecked on her vent. If you do see bloody poops, then get some Corid or amprollium.

I'd blame the pasty butt.
I was told to give yogurt-I mixed it with chick food or hard boiled eggs, and "smeared" it on the inside of the brooder. Watching them eat it is hilarious. I used a red light or red brooder cover to reduce pecking, and/or bluekote spray on any red spots.
Happy healing,
L

Last edited:
Don't overdo the yogurt. It has too much calcium for chicks, and can cause constipation. I don't put anything in young chicks water except vitamin/electrolytes the first day or too for stress, and chick crumbles only for food. Pasty butt is usually from too cold or too hot temperatures from shipping stress, and will normally subside in a week-to ten days. Brooder temperature at 1 week should be 85-90 degrees F max. Make sure they have a cooler area since chicks don't need the high temps all of the time.

Its not bloody poo I do not believe its was actual blood drops on the rectum and I haven't seen it in a few days, however the poo is still getting stuck to its little behind and the rectum seems a little swollen. I am changing shaving daily, and only feeding dumor chick starter. I was putting antibiotic in the water that a lady who works at TSC recommended but I have since stopped that because I learned it was not what I should be doing. the name of the antibiotic is Duramycin-10 tetracycline hydrochloride ssolublepowder.

I could be wrong but I believe that is a prolapsed vent. That would also explain the blood. I have only had one chick with a prolapsed vent but she did not make it. I think my chick was tossed around in the shipping box and crushed by the other chicks that were bigger. The breeder told me that if she had not been crushed by the others that the prolapsed vent would have corrected itself as she grew.

Back
Top Bottom