bloody roosters

Well, I do feel I need a rooster because of the heavy predator pressure around us. But I've definitely got a few young roosters in the brooder right now, and the incubator has 14 eggs from which we're really hoping to get a rooster for our new breeding project... so yeah, he put a number on his days this morning :)

I am not an expert, but in nature, hormones happen. Can act like 'friends', but with the females around (any species red blooded or not....) competition will happen. I would keep them separate and the two ladies can be with the male they prefer. If this is doable, I'd wouldn't like to see blood....it will attract predators too.
It's definitely the two roosters fighting. When I let them out this morning, despite my best efforts to keep one enclosed, they rushed back to fight. Took forever to get one separated again. He is in a coop/run with two hens who rushed to check on him and refused to leave. Is it worth trying to reintegrate them? They lived peacefully together for so long

Back
Top Bottom