bloody roosters

Cluckatar

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Vashon, WA
We have a flock with two roosters, raised together who are generally best friends. They dust bathe together, sleep in the coop together and aside from one or two minor dust ups with zero injuries, they get along fine. They are about 10 months old and have a flock of four hens (a fifth died at around four months). We've added another five hens who are 21 weeks and the first of them laid an egg today. We've seen the dominant rooster mate with a few of them. Tonight when I checked on our coops I found the smaller rooster covered in blood on his feathers and beak, but not looking harmed, and the larger rooster covered in blood with bleeding parts of his comb. They were both sleeping, and not a foot apart from each other. They had gone to bed in the new coop with the younger hens rather than their original coop. Both coops have auto closing doors and are moveable inside a fenced area that we also move. The group has been mixed for a couple of months with no incident. The hens have tried out both coops on a schedule that I can't fathom, but the roosters have always stayed in their old coop until tonight.

It seems most likely that they fought, but it's also possible that a predator had something to do with it. I honestly can't tell for sure. I did see a small amount of blood on the smaller rooster earlier in the evening, but not enough to concern me. He is an all white easter egger and any speck of blood shows on his feathers. I didn't see an injury on him at the time and the flock were all acting normal. The larger rooster is a silver cuckoo marans. He is more dominant in his behavior, but still is a pretty chill guy by rooster standards.

I have no idea what happened with them, and I'm not sure what to expect going forward. Their fenced area is about 250ft of moveable fencing, and the coops are Eglu cubes with runs and automatic doors. The runs are closed at night for early morning safety, but otherwise they have the whole area all day. Two food and three water areas. I'm really happy with the set-up and so far I've been pleased with how well everyone gets along. I worry that separating them would be permanent, and I'm still hopeful they will be okay together. Is that possible? Thanks for any ideas.

With nine total ladies, regardless whether it was a fight this time, it likely will be in the future.
Obviously, you’ll be keeping a close eye on them. I’d watch the behavior of the ladies as well. Multiple everything helps immensely- waterers, feeders, toys, hidey spots...
I hope it wasn’t a predator... how nervous I’d be right now not knowing!!
Best of luck!!!

It's definitely the two roosters fighting. When I let them out this morning, despite my best efforts to keep one enclosed, they rushed back to fight. Took forever to get one separated again. He is in a coop/run with two hens who rushed to check on him and refused to leave. Is it worth trying to reintegrate them? They lived peacefully together for so long :(

Cockerels can get along fine, until they don't, and more than an occasional skirmish is too much. Your boys have decided that it's over, so it's time to separate them. Either rehome one of them, or set up permanent separate digs for your two flocks.
Having space, areas out of sight of each other, and separate feeders and waterers all can make a big difference, but sometimes it's just not enough, and somebody needs to leave.
Mary

We've decided Snowy needs to leave. I've posted in a few places yesterday and we have our fingers crossed, but I know finding a new home for a rooster is difficult at the best of times. In the meantime we have one locked alone inside a coop which is inside the larger run area. They are beginning to calm down, and I switched them this morning. Yesterday the marans was in to heal up. Today he is back with the flock and Snowy is separate.

Our reason for keeping the two from the beginning was that we had no takers on Snowy at 8 weeks when we discovered we had two roosters. And they just got along, so it became a non-issue. But our primary reason for a rooster is guardian. We are in a high predator area and I felt like they were all safer with two roosters on the look-out.

Well, I do feel I need a rooster because of the heavy predator pressure around us. But I've definitely got a few young roosters in the brooder right now, and the incubator has 14 eggs from which we're really hoping to get a rooster for our new breeding project... so yeah, he put a number on his days this morning :)

Back
Top Bottom