Established Flock Roosting issues and lower egg production

RBoschee

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2022
Hi, new to the forum... I currently have a flock of 11 chickens (10 hens/1 Rooster) We raise a mixed flock and all have been together since their arrival from the hatchery 18 months ago. We do add light during the winter and have plenty of space in coop with four 4' roosting bars. A couple of issues have come up in the past . #1. Pretty significant reduction in number of eggs weekly. We were getting 40-50 a week now getting less 20. It is winter here in SC but as I said they are getting 14 hrs of light each day. Last winter they were laying well with not drop-off in production. We have fed Dumor Layer Pellets throughout. #2. 5 of the hens have stopped roosting for the past few months. They sleep on the floor and 3 of them are Creme Legbars and they are lower in the pecking order but still laying at a good rate. The only major changes is that the dominant rooster (Speckled Sussex) got a respiratory infection in May (treated with LA-200) now recovered. During his quarantine my 2nd rooster a Salmon Faverolle took over. Then, I did lose the Salmon Faverolle the end of August. Watching for mites (haven't seen any) but curious if both issues might be social in nature. Did losing a rooster trigger a social dynamic affecting both egg drop and lack of roosting? Or is it something else?

Turn the light off. They probably need a break. I have never used a light and they start laying again about midFebruary or so.

Some breeds are known for winter laying. Orpington don't lay as often as say, a RIR, but they keep laying longer so they lay when the others have stopped. Brahma are known for laying in the winter and taking a break in the summer. I have one Brahma hen and it is nice to get that single egg.

Hi, new to the forum... I currently have a flock of 11 chickens (10 hens/1 Rooster) We raise a mixed flock and all have been together since their arrival from the hatchery 18 months ago. We do add light during the winter and have plenty of space in coop with four 4' roosting bars. A couple of issues have come up in the past . #1. Pretty significant reduction in number of eggs weekly. We were getting 40-50 a week now getting less 20. It is winter here in SC but as I said they are getting 14 hrs of light each day. Last winter they were laying well with not drop-off in production. We have fed Dumor Layer Pellets throughout. #2. 5 of the hens have stopped roosting for the past few months. They sleep on the floor and 3 of them are Creme Legbars and they are lower in the pecking order but still laying at a good rate. The only major changes is that the dominant rooster (Speckled Sussex) got a respiratory infection in May (treated with LA-200) now recovered. During his quarantine my 2nd rooster a Salmon Faverolle took over. Then, I did lose the Salmon Faverolle the end of August. Watching for mites (haven't seen any) but curious if both issues might be social in nature. Did losing a rooster trigger a social dynamic affecting both egg drop and lack of roosting? Or is it something else?
Hiya, welcome to BYC!! :frow

We've never used light. Ours lay half in the winter as summer, and for silkys, that's doing pretty good lol. They'll start laying better in a few weeks. That's normal as they're taking a break over winter. Always have, always will.

Turn the light off. They probably need a break. I have never used a light and they start laying again about midFebruary or so.

Some breeds are known for winter laying. Orpington don't lay as often as say, a RIR, but they keep laying longer so they lay when the others have stopped. Brahma are known for laying in the winter and taking a break in the summer. I have one Brahma hen and it is nice to get that single egg.
Thanks, that is new information.

I have Australorp, Creme Legbar, Salmon Favereolle, Wellsummer and Speckled Sussex, I'm ok with less eggs, but will likely leave light ones it seems many are taking break whether its on or off.

Back
Top Bottom