Salmon Faverolle Hen with very large comb

NevadaEmma

Songster
Mar 24, 2021
Greetings,

I have a small flock of about 21 Salmon Faverolles, two are Roosters.

I am getting only about 5 eggs a week this winter (2nd year for the hens) so I have been watching their combs and noticed one hen had a very large comb about the same size as Tank the Rooster. I had not seen that before in any of my ladies. A couple of the hens combs are starting to turn red, but I have no idea who is laying eggs.

Has anyone had a hen with a vey large comb like hers (see photo below)?

Second, I noticed some black spots on her comb a few days ago. The temperature did drop suddenly and we got about a foot of snow, unusual for our area, and definately never since I have had this group of chickens.

Tank had developed black areas on his comb last summer due to some bug infestation, but he is fine now. And he shows no black areas on his comb at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_8280.JPG
    IMG_8280.JPG
    554.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8281.JPG
    IMG_8281.JPG
    469.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8282.JPG
    IMG_8282.JPG
    678.4 KB · Views: 15
Anyway you could isolate this chicken and see if it's laying? I had one about 8 years ago that was 100% a hen but had a rooster like comb and looked very masculine but laid eggs(Buff Orpington). But, this one honestly looks like a rooster. This is interesting👀 I'd like to see what opinions others have.

Anyway you could isolate this chicken and see if it's laying? I had one about 8 years ago that was 100% a hen but had a rooster like comb and looked very masculine but laid eggs(Buff Orpington). But, this one honestly looks like a rooster. This is interesting👀 I'd like to see what opinions others have.
Salmon Faverolles are differentiated by their colors. The roosters are a striking different color, even at a few weeks old you can tell the difference, so I would not think it was a rooster, but that did cross my mind a bit.
Photo is of Tanks brother Jake, but this is what the SF roosters look like.

Attachments

• IMG_8160.JPG
    IMG_8160.JPG
    791.7 KB · Views: 9
Salmon Faverolles are differentiated by their colors. The roosters are a striking different color, even at a few weeks old you can tell the difference, so I would not think it was a rooster, but that did cross my mind a bit.
That was going to be my next question, a full body picture as I know they differ in coloring according to the SOP. The only way really to tell is to isolate and visibly see that it's laying. Is it crowing at all or any other signs of not being a hen? I asked my mom a minute ago if she ever had something similar happen like it did with my buff. She said she did have a hen from TSC have a large comb and she thought it was a rooster, but it was sex-linked and laid, so it was very much just a masculine hen.

Big combs on a hen is usually an indication of a good layer, at least that's what it has been for me, anyways. The thickness makes me think of a rooster's comb, though my Isa Brown hen has a very large and thick comb. She's my top layer who lays jumbo sized eggs and is two to three years old. (She was a rescue so I don’t know her exact age.)

That was going to be my next question, a full body picture as I know they differ in coloring according to the SOP. The only way really to tell is to isolate and visibly see that it's laying. Is it crowing at all or any other signs of not being a hen? I asked my mom a minute ago if she ever had something similar happen like it did with my buff. She said she did have a hen from TSC have a large comb and she thought it was a rooster, but it was sex-linked and laid, so it was very much just a masculine hen.
I might be able to catch her in the nest box. but have not been able to so far.
I'll add I forgot I've seen someone put food coloring on their bum and if the egg comes out with that color streak on it you'll know too. May be worth doing.
Great idea, I am sure she would love it! Ha Ha
Thanks for the info and suggestion. I am getting one very large darker brown egg every couple of days for the last two weeks, so it may be her laying.

I might be able to catch her in the nest box. but have not been able to so far.

Great idea, I am sure she would love it! Ha Ha
Thanks for the info and suggestion. I am getting one very large darker brown egg every couple of days for the last two weeks, so it may be her laying.
🤞🤞🤞Hoping you get it figured out! I'd like to know when you do!

But isn't there something called hen feathering on roosters and is a disqualification?

Back
Top Bottom