Hen/Rooster Maturity Help!

Chicken6000

Chirping
May 10, 2023
Austin, Texas
Hen Breed: Black Australorp
Rooster Breed: N/A

What I have noticed: My rooster and hen are perfectly fine and are doing well, they are healthy and fit. I did research and looked at forums/videos about their age, egg laying, and behavior. I noticed that my hen has had her comb/wattle more firm, puffed, and red recently. I heard that this can mean she I closer to sexual maturity, I also read that It can indicate that she Is close to laying eggs. My rooster hasn't really changed much, although his comb/wattle is more red.

My questions: If she ends up being/becoming mature and lays eggs, how should I approach It, If the rooster and hen mate, what should I do about the eggs. I am still new and not too smart about this, so sorry If I ask dumb or simple questions.

If you need photos or any more Info feel free to ask me!

IMG_4185[1].JPG IMG_4184[1].JPG

I think your girl is getting ready to lay. If the eggs are collected daily you can still eat them and they will be good. Do you have more than just one hen?
Thanks! And yea I think she is getting ready as well, I do have one question, what should I do exactly to her and the eggs when she lays eggs, will everything be the same except she is just producing eggs? When and how long do the hens lay/produce eggs?

You're correct on maturity, though it's likely that they're already mating.
The eggs will be fertilized but they won't begin to grow into embryos unless you incubate them for about 24 hours.
I wouldn't recommend you incubating any eggs until your girls been laying for 3-4 months.
Thank you! Is there a way to see If they have mated? I'm guessing they mate and then she produces/lays eggs?

Thank you! Is there a way to see If they have mated? I'm guessing they mate and then she produces/lays eggs?
No, a hen will lay eggs without ever seeing a rooster. It's ovulation, it happens whether she's mated or not.
There's no way to tell until she starts laying, then you can check the yolk for the bulls eye.
They mate a few times a day, usually, you need a few more hens, (5+) or she's likely to get over bred.
Thanks! And yea I think she is getting ready as well, I do have one question, what should I do exactly to her and the eggs when she lays eggs, will everything be the same except she is just producing eggs? When and how long do the hens lay/produce eggs?
You eat the eggs or find someone who will.
You need to give her a nest box to lay in but everything will be the same.
What are you feeding your birds?

You can eat the eggs or find someone to eat the eggs. They can produce for a long time some breeds end sooner than others.
I would get a few more hens so she isnt over mated though.

No, a hen will lay eggs without ever seeing a rooster. It's ovulation, it happens whether she's mated or not.
There's no way to tell until she starts laying, then you can check the yolk for the bulls eye.
They mate a few times a day, usually, you need a few more hens, (5+) or she's likely to get over bred.

You eat the eggs or find someone who will.
You need to give her a nest box to lay in but everything will be the same.
What are you feeding your birds?
A feed our local feed store sold us, it might be grower/poultry feed, said it should be good to feed until they are 6 months of age, not sure what to feed after

Back
Top Bottom