Bloody stool

mamatobes

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Hi All

I am such a newbie at this. I noticed a few bloody stools in the chicken's run the other day. One of my black and copper marans had removed herself from the flock, a few days previous. She wouldn't eat with them and turned her back on meal worms...so I thought something was up, then I saw the bloody stool. Yesterday, she was all fluffed up and just stood in the sunshine staying away from the rest. We had just finished building a bigger coop, so we separated her from the rest. I gave her water with apple cider vinegar and medicated feed. She wanted nothing to do with the food, but drank as if her life depended on it. This morning she is full of life, eating like a champ and wants out of the secluded pen. My feed store didn't have corid, so I ordered some which will get here Monday. Any suggestions on what is going on? Do I trust her good demeanor and let her back in with the rest or should I wait and see if she really is better?

Any suggestions, help anything, would be great!!!

Thanks

Diane

If she were mine I would dust her for mites and lice, de-worm with Safeguard @ 50mg/kg (.5ml per 2.2 pounds) and treat with Corid. You'll find Corid dosing info in my sig below.

I have diatomaceous earth...would I use that to dust her? I am waiting on the corid and nutri drench (suggested by a chicken friend...she swears by it)

Could it be a stuck egg? She hasn't laid anything...if so what do I do?!!!

Thank you so much for your quick response!

DE doesn't work, use poultry dust or 5% Sevin powder. She could have a stuck egg, but I've never seen that cause bloody stools, only bloody stools I have seen were caused by worms, coccidiosis, blackhead and enteritis. Checking for an egg is easy enough to do, just gently stick a lubed finger in her vent and check. These pictures should help:

I'd also weigh her and have her indoors on a towel so I could inspect all of her poops. The quick search I did on Maran weights says a hen should weigh 7 pounds.

• Thorough exam
  • Weigh
  • Dust
  • Worm

Would be helpful if you could post some poop pictures.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom