Bloody vent and trouble walking

If she's not lethargic and stressed, a soak may be o.k. Sometimes a soak can send an unwell hen over the edge, so you want to make sure she's pretty stable.
She seems to be okay other than not being able to move. I think wore her out switching her to the new crate, so I may wait until tomorrow and try it if she's still with me. At this point, I'm okay if she just dies peacefully as I must as I hate to say it.

So, I gave her the rooster booster last night, and today she seems to be doing a little better. She's perkier and not breathing as hard, and she's drinking water, though not eating much. I tried getting her up today, but she still topples over to one side. I flipped her over on the other side, and she flipped herself back over. She'll sit up and preen for a few minutes, but she doesn't stand up. I've contacted four vets today and am not having a lot of luck, so I'm just trying to keep her comfortable. Would it be too late to try a bath/soak? Or do you think that would just make her worse at this point?

I'm not sure if a soaking will help or not.

I'm sorry she's still not able to get up and move about.
Has she laid and egg? Is she pooping ok?
She is actually pooping normally today. Yesterday, it was just all liquid. But she hasn’t really eaten today, and I tried to get her up and help her move but she just gets really out of breath and toppled over, which I may have already said. I’ve got her propped up in a towel tonight, and I’m kind of just hoping she’ll pass peacefully soon. My vet will handle it Monday if she doesn’t. She doesn’t seem to be in pain or upset, and when I pet her she goes to sleep. She pretty much just drinks water, preens her feathers, and watches out the window.

You can try this and see what pops up http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php

My mind went straight to vitamine b deficiency because she cant get up. Hope she feels better. If she was mine i give her some B right (vitamin b complex) and a folic acid (because of the blood) and some eggs to eat

Hope she pulls through.
Thank you. I have tried the B vitamins, and I made her some egg yesterday, but she wouldn't eat all day. Her legs and wings work (I took her outside today to get some fresh air and she flapped and kicked her legs the whole time). That perked her up a bit, but she still topples over. She is enjoying being outside with the other chickens though, so I moved her little hospital out there for today. Even if she doesn't survive, I figure at least she'll be more comfortable. I'll check that website out. thanks!

What i have do in the past is with an oral syringe is put a drop of organic apple sauce (only ingredient is apple) and egg yoke kn the side of the beak. O really hope she survives because it sounds like she wants to.
Thank you! I will try that tomorrow if she is still with us. I assume you do it raw? I may try a bath tomorrow too - at this point can it hurt? She does have a strong will to live, and that is what's making this so hard. I'm thinking she has some sort of internal failure that I just can't diagnose. I just don't understand how it's keeping her from walking, though. Her wings and legs are working, and she actually scooted around some today or flopped around. I don't feel any eggs or anything and there's no swelling to indicate organ failure or anything like that. To look at her, you'd think she was fine other than the dirty backside (that I'm trying to keep clean) and she's breathing heavier than normal. But I just put her to bed for the night (she ate a couple of tiny bites of yogurt before she went to sleep) - she's had a long day and is pretty tired. We had a nice 77-degree breezy day, so if it was her last day, at least she got to enjoy it and be with her friends. :hmm

Thank you! I will try that tomorrow if she is still with us. I assume you do it raw? I may try a bath tomorrow too - at this point can it hurt? She does have a strong will to live, and that is what's making this so hard. I'm thinking she has some sort of internal failure that I just can't diagnose. I just don't understand how it's keeping her from walking, though. Her wings and legs are working, and she actually scooted around some today or flopped around. I don't feel any eggs or anything and there's no swelling to indicate organ failure or anything like that. To look at her, you'd think she was fine other than the dirty backside (that I'm trying to keep clean) and she's breathing heavier than normal. But I just put her to bed for the night (she ate a couple of tiny bites of yogurt before she went to sleep) - she's had a long day and is pretty tired. We had a nice 77-degree breezy day, so if it was her last day, at least she got to enjoy it and be with her friends. :hmm
Ive done it with cooked... im sure raw would work too. Id also do a heat supplement so she can concentrate on healing and not maintaining her temp. Does she have a fever at all?

Back
Top Bottom